A different way to fly?

Jonzjob

I am not sure how this will turn out because it's the first time I have tried to post any Photobucket video, but here goes?

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/?action=view&current=thebestever.flv][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/th_thebestever.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

What an incredible pilot!!!

Edit :- Cracked it! Just click on the pikky and another window will appear with the video!!!

Reading the comments on the other video, and watching it a second time, the white helmet of the pilot is clearly seen on the first fly-by, and yet when we see him again on landing, he has no helmet.

At around the 50 second mark, the plane drops out of the bottom of the picture for a split second, and then reappears and instantly loses its wing.  I reckon it was there that the trickery began.

The company responsible for this video is also apparently responsible for several other hoax "incredible" videos circling the internet. It's an advertising agency.

However, there WAS a real incident in 1970 involving the then British Aerobatic Champion, Neil Williams, who was flying a Zlin aerobatic aircraft when it suffered structural failure of one wing; the wing did not detach completely but folded upwards. He found that by flying inverted he could maintain some control, carried out an inverted approach and rolled upright just before touchdown. The aircraft was written off in the crash but he walked away. His account of the incident can be found HERE.

Regards
Pickles

[quote user="ErnieY"]Surely it was obvious from the second the wing came off that it was fake as a real aircraft would have gone into an uncontrollable spiral, think of a Sycamore seed falling ![/quote]

Yes, indeed. I think that the thing that enabled control to be maintained on the model was the high thrust-to-weight ratio possible on the model. I don't think there is any full-size aircraft - even competition aerobatic aircraft -  that have anything like the levels of excess thrust that would be necessary to emulate the model's performance.

Regards

Pickles

You really must get out more Cat !

The pilot says it all at the end. The dynamics and power of that particular aircraft meant that it did effectively still have a wing of sorts and his quick thinking in firing the after burner saved his bacon. Think of the swing wings fitted to some other jet fighters, at operational speed wings become as much a drag inducing encumbrance as an asset.

Err, on second thoughts make that chicken, he's Jewish [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]You really must get out more Cat !

The pilot says it all at the end. The dynamics and power of that particular aircraft meant that it did effectively still have a wing of sorts and his quick thinking in firing the after burner saved his bacon. Think of the swing wings fitted to some other jet fighters, at operational speed wings become as much a drag inducing encumbrance as an asset.

Err, on second thoughts make that chicken, he's Jewish [:D]

[/quote]

Not on the F111! They were known to shed their wings until the British government gave our trans Atlantic cousins the formula for the metal strong enough to do the job!! They didn't fly too well on a wing and a prayer???[:-))]