On the Buses

TWINKLE

The bizarre thing about this series was that Reg Varney was in his fifties when the series was made, making out to be in his 30's and Blakey was only in his early 30's made up to look like he was 60!! 

They have recently re-run the series on ITV 3 but for the most part the very sexist and farce like humour really has not  stood the test of time.

Thanks Twinkle I had forgotten that one - being PC these days loses out on some of the great old comedy shows - the inuendos were great in those days. I do not know any of my friends, disabled or ethnic who are offended by these shows - most have said they find them so funny, as they were meant to be highlighting situations.

You can hear re-runs of many of these programs on BBC7.  The Navy Lark is still as good as ever but many other comedies do not age well.

I'm sorry he's passed on (he did have a good innings though) but I'm afraid I never found Reg Varney and the whole 'On the Buses' thing funny.  But perhaps it's just me as the same goes for many others e.g Arthur Haynes, Charlie Drake, Harry Worth and dare I say it, Tommy Cooper.  I suppose I prefer the more anarchic Goons and Monty Python stuff 

Loved The Rag Trade - when they have shown clips the situations are often still relevant.

I lived for a while in Winbledon and knew Tut Tut (Bootside & Snudge), the Manager, Robert  Dorning, & his daughters Katy & Stacy - she was in Black Beauty, and I think one of them does a TV ad now for car ins.  Even to talk to Robert Dorning, he was a funny guy. Being in Wimbledon though, with the theatre I met so many people as my mum had a cigarette shop - Arthur Askey, Jimmy Edwards & Eric Sykes (Big Bad Mouse) and so many from the great panotmimes. Do they have these anywhere in France at Christmas? There's an opening for an impressario perhaps - bring pantomime to the French?

I was thinking about the Panto season today! 

It's such a shame the French don't do it - I have some wonderful memories of Christmas pantomimes.  Stan Stennet was the big star in Wales when I was a child.  I used to pray every year I'd get asked up onto the stage.  I never did - but I'm sure I would have peed myself if I had!