3916 form

Doodle

"Interpretation of information" I have heard about this in France i.e. ten people can be sent a memo and ten people can give ten different interpretations each claiming theirs is right.

I helped my father get his permanent residency permit at Carcasone . I didn't bother to get his birth certificate and my mothers death certificate translated because the advice here was just to get the marriage certificate translated. We had to go back because they would not accept the English versions. Once done it wasn't a problem and now he has his UE Séjour permanent.

I don't know if this "interpretation" thing is a European or just a French thing, I have not had the need to test it in Germany. The beauty of working for a big multinational I guess they do it all for you.

We'll before it was necessary to give your French tax reference to your UK I was called in to the local tax office to explain an amount of interest Lloyds had reported to the French authorities (it was because Lloyds had reported interest for the UK tax year ending in April and I had not declared it because it was paid in February which was in the current French tax year not the previous tax year).

If the financial institution knows you are tax resident in another country they have an obligation to report it even if they don't have your full tax details. It is then up to the French to sort it out (probably not too difficult if you have a name uncommon in France).

My wife and I also applied for permanent residency in Carcassonne, in September last year, and received the permis in October.

We had requested the rdv in June, and were sent a list of instructions, including the documentation required.

This included Passports and Marriage OR Birth Certificates with official translations.as appropriate.

We presented ONLY what was asked for and everything went as smoothly as we expected[:D]

EDIT:  The above should read "Passport OR Birth Cerificate, and Marriage Certificate, with official translations as appropriate"

I went there to ask for a meeting not speaking French and they told me it would take three months. Apparently in 2016 according to the nice lady there who spoke fluent English just over 600 people asked for one. In 2017 this was up to nearly 5,000 and they only have three staff and that's just English because as you know it's not just the English that need these things.

• 1 month later...
To be sure, I emailed my local I'mpot office regarding my question and the response received today as follows:

Non vous ne devez pas inscrire le montant des retraites sur ce formulaire car il est réservé aux comptes bancaires détenus à l'étranger.

Hope this is of help do those who worry about it like what I do!

Mrs KG

• 4 years later...

I'm revisiting this old topic because I found it when searching for an answer to something. French tax authorities have seemingly 'pinged' the requirement to declare foreign accounts and 'life insurance' policies....

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/international-particulier/questions/declaring-foreign-bank-accounts-and-life-insurance-policies-held

My simple question: should UK personal pensions be declared?

Previously, the consensus seemed to be 'no'.  Today, I'm not so sure. 

I can see that personal pensions could be of interest to Impots (e.g. wealth tax) but not sure they can be classed as life insurance policies per se. They are, after all, savings vehicles but not like the classic French assurance vie - the latter being what I think the French impots are thinking of. Maybe it is a matter of translation.

22 hours ago, particulier said:

My simple question: should UK personal pensions be declared?

My simple answer, after much searching, appears to be 'no'. 

UK personal pensions are seemingly not classed as "assurance vie" / life insurance products. Tbh, I find that surprising. Not complaining obviously, as there's less for me to do when filling in the tax return.