oh dear ... what price a teacher?

suein56

Alledgedly, the year course for Graduates can now possible be condensed to six months and not just for Bamker, yes, I did say bamkers. Anyone can apply for this Government scheme. so if anyone out there fancies being a teacher go for it.

Just another moving of the goal posts to massage the unemployment figures and an opportunity for some spin by Gordon Brown ..by telling us how many new teachers he has taken on......Blunkets Bobbies comes to mind as a past effort at doing somthing similar .when more Police were needed .

Well Hoddy, I taught for 35 years, though abroad or UK HE, did a UK PGCE plus MA in TEFL so had good contact and I always felt that it is better for teachers to have had some other experience before they go into the classroom. The pattern of school to Uni to school is a bad one I feel.

Wooly I agree with you about experience of working life out of school. I worked for the army and a large brewery company before I became a teacher and I think it helped. I would also prefer it if teachers had children of their own because I think it changes your perspective.

We'll just have to disagree abot length of time training. I think teachers need more training not less.

Hoddy