Changing watch batteries

mint

Thought I had a bit of a brainwave when I bought some watch batteries and was under the impression that it's a simple matter of prising open the watches and replacing the batteries.

Now OH tells me that he can't get the lids open and that he needs a special tool to open up the watches.  Is this factually correct and, if so, where does one get this "special tool" and what might it be called?

Thank you in anticipation..................

There is usually a little tag on the back cover and a little slot below this into which you can insert something like a thin knive blade and just twist. Take care, a good way of slicing your fingers! Le Clerc have a battery changing service here locally and I would think their other stores might have this. No charge if you buy the battery there.................JG 

Thanks, John, and thank you, Babcock.

Will look for the slot and will defo check that the batteries are alike before changing.

Amazing how living in France encourages one to develop all sorts of skills that one never ever suspected would be needed.............[:D]

Sweets:

The only "Difficult" watches to open are those with a screw-in back. This can be seen immediately, as the back cover has either a castelated rim; or is shaped like a nut: six to eight sides octagonol.

Waterproof watches require a pressure test after opening: water resistant watches need some sealer compound.

Most plain case watches simply need a thin steel tool (A watchmaker's screwdriver e.g.) to "Click" the back of the case open.

Most cell manufacturers make the common types which can be checked by the series number stamped on the cell.

You can see how cheap they are really here:

http://www.batterymarket.co.uk/11seiko-watch-batteries-c-75.html?gclid=CI2WornZjpoCFQJ-xgodYhsK9w&fl=104873&kw=watch%20batteries

Whilst in la belle during Paques, I had to purchase two new CR2032 Lithium cells for one of the alarm detectors: cost me €7,98!!!

Instead of circa 99pence each..........................

When you say you "bought some watch batteries" what do you mean. Did you buy one of those cards of various sized cells you find in Mr Bricolage and the like for €2 or €3 because for the most part they are not actually for watches but for things like CH controllers and small LED torches etc.

As gluey says there are many different types of watch battery and unless you know exactly which type you need buying them 'on spec' is likely to be waste of money.

PS: OH's are always right anyway, you know that [Www]

Mr O'Brien here in Dingle will change your watch battery for €3. He won't touch Cartier or TAG mind. You could get yourself an automatic movement next time you buy a watch, and save yourself hundreds or even thousands of euros during the lifetime of the watch and yourself (whichever is earlier) You pay a bit more upfront, but you get it back in the long run.

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]

Mr O'Brien here in Dingle will change your watch battery for €3. He won't touch Cartier or TAG mind. You could get yourself an automatic movement next time you buy a watch, and save yourself hundreds or even thousands of euros during the lifetime of the watch and yourself (whichever is earlier) You pay a bit more upfront, but you get it back in the long run.

[/quote]I think I may speak for many when I say that I have never, and will never, own a watch which cost's hundreds or thousands let alone offers the opportunity to save such sums in servicing over it's lifetime [:-))]

What's with the virtually unreadable light blue text BTW ?

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Furry Knickers"]

[/quote]

What's with the virtually unreadable light blue text BTW ?

[/quote]

Ernie, I don't know why you call me "BTW"? But as long as it's nothing too rude, I don't mind anyway[:)] I used the lovely turqoise because it is one of me favourite colours in the whole wild world. I can't understand why it's not used more often? We have all these beautiful colours available to us, and they are just going to waste, and that's not right!

[quote user="teapot"]

Sweets Following on from Gluestick's excellent post, the tool OH is looking for if the backs unscrew is this one

So that's one birthday present sorted [Www]

[/quote]

Teapot, that's exactly the tool for OH's best watch which has a back exactly as described by Gluey.

Nice price, I thought, until I input France for my address and the postage is £11.74 making the tool over £18 cost!

So, it'll have to wait till some visitor or other comes over (never long to wait in the summer months) and I'll get one sent to their home to bring over for us.

Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to reply and to Furry for making me laugh.

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]Ernie, I don't know why you call me "BTW"? But as long as it's nothing too rude, I don't mind anyway[:)] I used the lovely turqoise because it is one of me favourite colours in the whole wild world. I can't understand why it's not used more often? We have all these beautiful colours available to us, and they are just going to waste, and that's not right! [/quote]BTW = By The Way [:)]

Favourite colour or not my dear it's almost impossible to read it on a white background, can you not see that for yourself ?

[quote user="ErnieY"]Favourite colour or not my dear it's almost impossible to read it on a white background, can you not see that for yourself ?[/quote]

Dear Ernie, I am very sorry about the turqoise, and I can see it's difficult to read alright. I can assure you that I shall never use it agian! I hope you can forgive me[:)] I don't know what your favourite colour is, but I'm sure it's lovely anyway. Furry xx

[quote user="ErnieY"]Favourite colour or not my dear it's almost impossible to read it on a white background, can you not see that for yourself ?[/quote]

Dear Ernie, I am very sorry about the turqoise, and I can see it's difficult to read alright. I can assure you that I shall never use it agian! I hope you can forgive me[:)] I don't know what your favourite colour is, but I'm sure it's lovely anyway. Furry xx