Help: Ipod trouble

Clair

I used some points on my supermarket card to get an IPod shuffle like this one

The thing is driving me mad... [6][6]

I do not want music, free or otherwise. I just want to listen to some radio podcasts when I am out walking. Do I need on my laptop ITunes to listen to Podcasts from BBC Radio? (ITunes fails to install).

I downloaded some podcasts on the laptop and moved them the the IPod but I cannot hear anything when I try to play them.

When I switch it on, a green light flashes comes on for about 5 sec.

When I press >>|, |<<, + or -, a green light flashes.

When i press Play/Pause, the light flashes green/orange.

When I connect the IPod to the laptop, an orange light flashes all the time. As per the booklet, I unplug it from the laptop, then from the support and plug the earphones but as above, I cannot hear anything.

Help me pleeeeaaaase.....

You may be falling foul of second generation digital rights copy protection. For instance I can video or DVD 'Bringing it all back Home' but I cannot copy the recordings of music to any digital medium. On the otherhand if you have never bought anything recorded after 1967 it may not be a problem. 

[quote user="ErnieY"]Why won't iTunes install, what happens ?[/quote]

The installation program finds "errors" and terminates without installing.

If I have to use ITunes to use it, I might as well dump the crappy thing, as the program won't install... [:@]

Well at least, I didn't pay real money for it... [:@]

[quote user="Clair"]If I have to use ITunes to use it, I might as well dump the crappy thing, as the program won't install... [:@]

Well at least, I didn't pay real money for it... [:@][/quote]I think you hit the nail on the head Clair' crappy' sums up iTunes and 'i' products quite succinctly IMO.

I recently came into possession of broken an iPhone which I spent many hours repairing and whilst there are things about it which are little short of brilliant iTunes, and all the syncing and other obstructiveness which goes with it, are truly the spawn of the devil so I stick to my trusty Archos drag-n-drop MP3 player for music.

Give it away and get on with your life [;-)]

I have installed ITunes on Mr Clair's laptop without any trouble.

I have found the BBC podcasts I wanted and dropped them in the IPod without any hassle (haven't tried listening to them yet)

So it looks as if there's something in my laptop that causes a problem... [8-)]

Thanks for the tips anyway [:)].

It may be the browser you are using.  I had great trouble installing ITunes with 'errors' as you describe. Now I cannot for the life of me remember if it would not instal with Firefox and worked with IE7 or the other way round but using one it worked and the other it would not.  Since I use Firefox most of the time now (with some Chrome too [:P] ) I rather think that I had to use IE7 to get it to install.  When it did, finally, I thought it was a good product (though it nearly chokes me to say so)

I tried installing ITunes Setup from FF, but failed with no other explanation that "errors" had been detected before configuration.

I then tried to install from EI8, but the installation program come up with a  message about "cannot access the peripheral, the access path..." or something like that.

I installed it on Mr Clair's laptop from FF without any problem.

Spurred on by various niggles and the inability to install ITunes on my laptop, I took a bold step this afternoon and re-installed Vista to factory settings.

ITunes is now installing as I type...

I don't like being defeated by technology... [:D]

Hi Clair

Glad you are sorted.

My hubby has four Ipod shuffles, one he keeps for his learn French cds, one for music, one for audio books & the other for podcasts.

I subscribe via I Tunes to all of the free podcasts that are available, & there are dozens! I keep them updated automatically through the menu preferences & he is never without something interesting to listen to.

A good tip though, is to change your earbuds for a Monster Freeplay headset. I got ours from EBay, they are a godsend, & you just pop the shuffle into them & they sit neatly on the back of your head & over your ears. No trailing wires & no painful ears any more!

Good luck