What a stupid mother !

Frederick

Two girls get arrested for a £1.300 insurance fraud attempt and end up in jail in Rio...yet to go before a judge ...Mum talks to a newspaper about her daughter and said This is just a " misdemeanour .". Police have overreacted .. they deserve a slap but they are not criminals this is just an error of judgement ..and... It will be storey to look back on and tell their grandchildren .... If the judge reads this English paper or sees it on line ..will mum wish she had kept her mouth shut if he gives her daughter a couple of years ? I think I know where the error of judgement is here !

• 3 weeks later...
One year and five months sentance changed to 16 months community service ..They have to fund their own stay in Rio and might get their passports back after 8 months .... After a guilty plea the prosecution wanted to charge them with "wasting Police time "as well as the fraud ..Lucky they did not go back to prison. This might slow down the back packer "rip off the travel insurance company " problem that is growing .. A misdemeanor according to mum .

I was a mature backpacker (44) when I took my gap year before moving to France, as a consequence my travel insurance premium was much much higher than if I had been in my 20's, OK I accepted that there was perhaps more risk of a medical claim although I didnt.

Whilst I really enjoy the company of the younger generation and I met and am still in touch with some really special people what really galled me was the high percentage young travellers whose idea of  a gap year meant seeing the world via a series of capital city bars usually in the order Capetown, Sidney, Auckland, Bangkok and Los Angeles (with a hedonistic week in Fiji for the brave) and trying out as many (to them) exotic drugs as possible.

This subset of youth was invariably just out of "uni" had never worked and was being funded by their parents, until that is they heard the dreaded words "no more, you have spunked away enough, come home and get a job" at this point they started "maxing out" the credit cards that they had collected and in almost every case, just before taking their final flight home they sold their digital cameras etc and reported them as stolen to claim on the travel insurance.