The British Economy as seen from Europe

NormanH

... and new entrants to the nursing profession from September 2013 will have to study a degree. Yes, a degree in nursing, with part of it doing practical training on the ward and part in the classroom at the university.

This is taken from another page on the site you identified:

Entry requirements for nursing 

To work as a nurse in the NHS, you must hold a degree or diploma in nursing (a 'pre-registration' programme), which allows you to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

When one has completed the degree course in nursing one becomes a registered nurse. Until then one is a student nurse. Registration with the NMC does not happen until after graduation. To the best of my recollection, this is in line with the Project 2000 proposals.

I have been searching for Gordon Brown's 40,000 nurses and cannot find them. I did find a statement from him to the effect that following the introduction of legislation to permit home nursing care for the elderly 400,000 patients will now receive care.

I found this on a university website:

A Brief History

Student nurse training has undergone many changes in the last decade since Project 2000 was introduced in the early 1990's. Prior to Project 2000, nursing and midwifery training was carried out within a school of nursing, that was based at the hospital where the nurses carried out their studies and practical ward work.

Once students qualified they became State Registered Nurses or Registered General Nurses and were registered with the United Kingdom Central Council for Nurses Midwives and Health Visitors (UKCC). (Since April 2002, the UKCC has been replaced by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC))

A second shorter and more practical training concluded with the qualification of Enrolled Nurse.

However a push towards establishing nursing in a more professional light, meant a more academic approach to training was needed. This led to a move into higher education with nurses studying to diploma or degree level within a university setting. Enrolled nurse training stopped and schools of nursing could no longer be found within a hospital. Hospitals began to pay universities for the education and training of student nurses, who in turn would provide nurses who are academically sound and 'fit for practice'.

Does this help?

My wife was an R.G.N. in Bournemouth,I believe I can safely say she was a Mature student and went to night school to get the required GCE.O-levels before she went on for nurse training which took a full 3 years. The interesting thing is that of a group of 14 who trained together only 2 are still in the NHS,both in Admin jobs. At no time did anyone from Management enquire why the other 12 where leaving the profession.Poor staff relations!! there was a common consensus that you definitely did not point out any failings of senior staff,a black mark would follow.

Another member mentioned the savings that could/should be made by ridding the Agency syndrome and I wish they would apply some contract terms to the Consultants who seem to use the NHS services as a private income. The one problem with Agency nurses was that there was no patient knowledge,sometimes Agency nurses or nurse would be in charge of a ward after a hand-over and be there for one night only. Recently my eldest brother was in Hospital in the I. C. Unit and on several visits I couldn't understand what the nurse dealing with him was saying, neither could my wife and twice when phoning we were put through to a ward desk with details of the wrong patient after giving both Christian,sorry,first names,surname and date of birth. To cap it all he had £70 stolen out of his locker when someone didn't think he'd come to. Never happened before we were told, but soon found out differently.

All apart from the pedantic debate on the number of new nurses, in the real world as a recent consumer of NHS hospital services, nurses are now pretty rare: sisters rarer still.

Much of the "Nursing" function is carried out by unqualified HCAs, many of them agency workers on minimum wage.

One observes that in France, Infirmieres are all well qualified: and the next subordinate level of staff are also professionally qualified. (I forget their title).

At one point two years ago, I even had to explain to a clueless HCA why her attempts to take my blood pressure were going nowhere: the tube to the mini-compressor of the sphygmomanometer was detached: I even mended the bloody thing for her!

[:-))]

Returning to the original matter of the British Economy, don't know if anyone else picked this up: the B of E reported that net bank lending fell in Janurary, by £6.5 billion: after a fall in December 09 of £3.4 billion and the flow of lending was 9.3% less than Jan 2009: the fastest pace of decline since records began in 1999.

Which bodes ill for any supposed recovery in the Real Economy: which in itself, of course, underpins the whole City charade.

Source:

• 3 weeks later...