Back to Bread Making Machines

mint

Yes, I know, discussed at various times but some of the threads are rather old (should perhaps say "stale"!)

Well now, my cheapo Netto machine has definitely given up the ghost.

I am now going to embark on my first grown-up machine.  Going by past recommendations on here, I think it will have to be a Panasonic.

Can someone please say which model?

Thanks.

Hard choice.  On the one hand, I prefer metal as opposed to plastic.  On the other, no one's spoken ill of the Panasonic.

With the help of JJ, who is going to bring it for me from the UK, the difference is about.......£5!  With the credit going to the Panasonic!

I HATE choices like these.......[:(]

Our cheapo Hinari is still going strong after many years service. Since the paddle lost its non-stick surface, we use the machine just to knead and rise, whipping the dough out before the baking cycle begins. (Otherwise, it's near impossible to remove the baked loaf from the pan without destroying both.) We then found we preferred the taste of the bread when finished off in the oven, so have carried on that way ever since.

Works for us, although the crust can exercise the jaws and lacerate gums even more than the genuine article from Monsieur Boulanger.

I use a Lidl machine - and Lidl bread mixes.

Ciabatta, Paysan and one which is sort of granary (my favourite).

The paddle always stays in the bread though.

I've tried oiling the paddle before I put the mix in but it made no difference.

Still, you can always eat round the hole and leave it if you don't like it.

[quote user="bubbles"]Still, you can always eat round the hole and leave it if you don't like it.[/quote]

Well, Bubbles, I don't think you are meant to eat the paddle!  Otherwise, you'd have to keep replacing the paddle, won't you?[8-)][:D]

I have the same as Russethouse an SD-255, it is the best machine I have used. In the past I have had a Kenwood, a Morphy Richards and they both were nowhere near as good as the Panasonic I have now and the paddle does stay in the pan, also replacement pans and paddles are easily available should you require one.

smd

Thank you, for that, smd1.  In fact, I have already decided on the Panasonic and it only about £75 from Amazon.

I am sure I will have no cause to regret my purchase.

Many thanks to everybody who has helped me to make up my mind.