It could only be the UK tax office

mint

[quote user="Quillan"]Unfortunately the software was written when IE7 was around and it's not really been upgraded since. I guess as the forum software plays only a small part in Archants life its 'maintenance' and 'upgrading' is a low priority.[/quote]I guess it's like some of us contributors - a bit old and a bit tired but still serviceable!

Worry not, Coops, cos I LOVE it when threads go right off topic![:D]

That's what happens to real life conversations, don't they?  People talk about all sorts of things and, frankly, I think it's ludicrous when you are expected to ONLY talk about the topic.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I think it's ludicrous when you are expected to ONLY talk about the topic.

[/quote]I have mixed feelings about it.  If somebody asks a question and wants genuine help and advice on something then it's annoying if it drifts before there's a proper answer.  But with more general topics and once the serious business is over....

Much like normal conversations, as you say.

You know me ladies, I was only joking [:D]

Actually, getting bang on topic again, I had a notice of a change in PAYE tax coding in the post a couple of days ago which placed me on the standard allowance of £6475, minus my health cover benefit in kind. This was patently wrong so I phoned them today this morning to see what was going on and although I won't bore you with details once they realised that they had made a mistake and that they were working with a massively wrong figure for my gross salary it shot up to 945L.

I should add that my salary has not altered by more than a few % in the last 2 years or so and bizarrely, although I had obviously passed their ID verification and knew who they were talking to they said that they could not tell me what salary they had previously been working with other than to say that it placed me below the 40% tax band.

Grrrrggghhh.  I went to post off my now completed form which incidentally tells them to get on with it before I place a formal complaint and discovered that they sent me the identical form that I sent them!  Yea, you got that one?  They sent me the....OK!

Anyway, I wrote all my grievances on the form itself where it says any other information or something like that AND I sent back their letter to me!

Poor Erns, at least mine is just pin money whereas yours is mega....!

Not only that, I had to send it to a different address to my "usual" and "last" tax office before I left the UK.

Oh for a garotte or some such so that I could throttle the lot of them![6]