What is the attraction.....

cooperlola

...of watching animals (or people for that matter) being cut up and/or rotting?

Watching anything on More4 at the moment, I find that I am being bombarded by promotional ads for a forthcoming series of programmes studying the rotting corpses of animals - the first one it seems will be an elephant.  Happily, I don't watch live TV so can quickly zoom through these frankly, to my mind at any rate, disgusting trailers which I'm sure would make me feel really sick if I watched them in any detail.  Can anybody please explain to me who the viewers are of these programmes and who would want to watch anything so sick-making, gory, and vomit inducing?  The same people who want to watch operations and autopsies and who enjoy horror movies, I suppose.  I'm guessing that this series has been commissioned following a previous effort where dead animals were chopped up and their innards studied (again whose trailers one was subjected to so it was almost impossible to avoid seeing at leats a glimpse of what was in store.)

What is the attraction?  I also wonder why the networks feel that they have to give us even a glimpse of what's coming up in these programmes so that I can't even watch The Good Wife without worrying about whether the ad' breaks are going to send me rushing for the nearest bucket![+o(][+o(][+o(]  How come we get dire warnings before any programme where the f word is used but no such heads up when they are all blood and guts?  Even the current i-pad advert seems to have a human heart in it - what is this obsession with innards these days?

I've only seen it trailed once but the impression I got was that the purpose is to inform people who're interested about how a dead animal benefits the wildlife food chain - how there'll be various creatures who'll "assist" in deconstructing the animal and perhaps have evolved in order to do so. And probably will feed off each other too during the process.

Nowadays we know that ivy covering a dead or dying tree has enormous value as a resource for many insects and other beasties. So - depending on how it is presented - explaining the value of an animal carcase after death... as it transitions to skeleton form via decompostion and the wildlife it supports throughout is simply another facet of this amazing world in which we live.

I'm not saying it's a "must see" but if the purpose is what I think it is, I feel it is potentially far more worthwhile from an education and a simple "nature is amazing" point of view than any number of man-related programs that show (glory in?) human operations, aberrations, etc.

I am perfectly well aware of the fact that maggots dispose of rotting flesh and then turn into flies and all sorts of other wonders of nature.  But I didn't have to watch the process in graphic detail to know this.  I'd love to think that the average viewer is watching these programmes to improve their knowledge and education but  I'm still not convinced.

I'm glad at any rate, that it's not just me, Bugsy!

I watched the one where a body was ut upinto its constituent parts in front of an audience of medical students, I think it was by the guy that cuts cows in half and exhibits them in formaldehyde.

Enjoy is not a word I would use to describe the experience, it was gruesome but very educative, I am not squeamish when it comes to butchering animals but god willing its unlikely that I will ever see the same again of the human body, at one stage he elongated all the bits to show the whole passage taken by our food in our bodies.

Essential viewing for the medical students,educational but voyeuristic for others, it must be borne in mind that the cadavers used were peole that had written into their wills that they wanted to be used in that way.

Thursday is one of those nights when both recorders are working non stop (The Closer, Eli Stone as well as TGW).  I'm trying my best with the 10 o'clock show as I adore Charlie Brooker but so far it's missing the spot which is a great shame.  Not a patch on Jon Stewart's Daily Show of which we now have to make do with the once a week digest.

However, it's vastly better than chopped up dead animals as entertainment goes.  IMHO.

I never got into B&S - Calista Flockhart was one of the problems... she irritates me. But I do like QT and the Andrew Neil show (I think it is "This Week", G.) I love Charlie Brooker but I think the 10 o'clock show has yet to find its feet... or niche... or something. And I really like Jon Stewart... but was surprised the Daily Show lasted as a daily show on UK tv for as long as it did. I don't tape much nowadays... because I just end up with tapes that I never get around to watching. Haven't encountered Eli Stone...

But I might watch dirty rotting animals because while I know what happens I don't know how it all happens and I suspect there are all sorts of inter-dependencies and it's all more complex than a lot of flies and maggots. Which came first... the fly or the... [6]

In fact, if I'm remembering the trailer correctly, something like 600 creatures get food or complete part or all of their life cycle during the disintegration... which is amazing...

Sorry Coops. [:$]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Bugsy"]That programme is just sick[/quote]
Some, myself top of the list, feel the same way about football/rugby/cricket/golf/tennis/darts/ etc. etc. etc.

I'd rather watch a dead elephant being dissected than be forced to watch any of the above [+o(]

[/quote]Oh, I think that's a close run contest!