Slow cooker/Mijoteuse (again)

5-element

[quote user="idun"] The one thing that has driven me mad recently is a restaurant we went to that didn't salt anything. And the people we were with were mainly non salters. The food was tasteless, truly it was. And I think I will throttle the next person who says that you can salt when it is on the plate.[/quote]

That is not right - unless the restaurant caters for people on anti-hypertensive diet, i.e. low-sodium - and assumes that the customers who do not have a BP problem will salt their dish themselves? Chefs usually teach you  that you should salt cooking water so that it is like seawater. But then, you also get those chefs who like to add just a touch of "fleur de sel" on the cooked, ready-to-eat dish. I notice Jamie Oliver does that, just like he ALWAYS adds a drizzle of olive oil to every dish right at the end - as well as salt, and maybe lemon juice....

Sweet17, your wok sounds like it has a barbecue function? All very well, but unless you have a brilliant air extractor in the kitchen...[:'(] And yes, I do miss those eye-level grills, surely they still exist, do they not?

I don't have a slow cooker, nor a pressure cooker. I know the latter have changed, but there was still a big mark on the kitchen ceiling when I left home, and the memory has always put me off them; my Mother had managed to get hers to explode!

But I now have 2 Remoskas. We use the one in France all the time, and it will again become our summer kitchen on the balcony soon. We've now bought one for UK use, and is being christened with salmon, olive oil, honey and ginger cooking in it at the moment. [:)]

[quote user="5-element"]

[Sweet17, your wok sounds like it has a barbecue function? All very well, but unless you have a brilliant air extractor in the kitchen...[:'(] And yes, I do miss those eye-level grills, surely they still exist, do they not?

[/quote]

Yeah, 5-e, the hood has FOUR (not oven, 4) vitesses.  Cost an arm and a leg but I did have this legacy and I was determined not to just leave it in the bank account to be "absorbed" into general expenses.

Now I have a hood that recirculates the air instead of venting it through the roof and outside![:'(]  How horrible is that?

I feel a kitchen makeover coming on but it won't be till when Chateau 17 is sold!

I am still not sold on the slow cooker but might well be on the Remoska. 

Wools, I'm going to PM you about this Remoska of yours later and I shall expect you to give me the lowdown, OK?

Like many on this thread, I am reluctant to use the grill; I avoid it for the same dosh-saving reasons which saw me buy the Remoska in the first place.

As the heating element on the Remoska is built underneath the sealed lid, it does act as a grill... after a fashion.

Tonight, I baked a couple of chicken legs and thighs in a roasting bag (I really do all I can to avoid cleaning!) and they came out with perfectly crispy skin.

(I have baked a whole spatchcocked chicken in it before!)

I also made cauliflower cheese and used the grill in the combination microwave to cook it to a "gratinated" cheesy finish.

I wonder whether this Remoska is like the infra red "cooker" that someone lent to me when we were waiting for our Godin?

That has a large plastic dome sort of lid and the cooking element is in the lid.  I got fed up of cleaning the large plastic dome and the grill was very, very hard to get spotless.

Is the Remoska easy to clean and does it take much cupboard space when you have to put it away?

Thanks RH for the timely reminder.

I think I shall wait until I see it in action, will now go around asking all my friends, and hopefully, find someone whose Remoska I can try, as there are conflicting comments and it is hard to make a decision...