Champions League wednesday;

pachapapa

If you were born in Manchester you would understand this as possible the most important event in your life to date.

Bigger for me than getting married. Bigger than my England (Age Grp) Rugby cap. Bigger than any yotting Champs. Bigger than anything that is really, really big.

Pity we're not playing ManUre at the Theatre of Screams again.

[quote user="breizh"]

If you were born in Manchester you would understand this as possible the most important event in your life to date.

Bigger for me than getting married. Bigger than my England (Age Grp) Rugby cap. Bigger than any yotting Champs. Bigger than anything that is really, really big.

Pity we're not playing ManUre at the Theatre of Screams again.

[/quote]

Careful, you never know who's reading this. [;-)]

Is this the same Man City who spent 110% of their gate receipts in the 2010/11 season on players' wages alone? Or the team who spent nearly £11 million on agents' fees in the year to last April. Or, maybe, the team whose billionaire owner will increase the sponsorship paid from the airline he controls so that his team flout the stiff new rules covering football clubs' spending?

Nah!, Couldn't be or could it?   [6]

Yep, that's us, and not ashamed of it[:D]

Season ticket holder when I was at Manc Uni in the 90s. Dad was a Citeh fan.

Yep, we're rich. Tough. Get over it. We can buy who we want, pay them whatever they want. Every litre of fuel you buy is money towards buying Messi. Stuff Platini, we'll just shove the debt back via a rights issue.

20 years of NFL ownership would suggest the owners are longterm. Anyway, why should I care? Not my money, and we had our time back in the sunshine.

Oooooh it's really bringing the jealous posters (nearly said something rude) out today isn't it? They wouldn't comment otherwise, would they?

Utd started all this money business when the Premier League started, ManU PLC I remember! When they thought they could buy anyone they wanted. Chelsea have done it since. Now it's our turn. It may not last forever, but it's nice while it lasts.

Come on City.

How true PPP, could be yet another derby, [:D] but we're all looking forward to some interesting ties. These are wonderful times for City supporters, not just for the fact that the team is currently top of the league and going well, but also for the chance to see some foreign teams with some great players.

I had a good laugh this evening reading the earlier snide remarks here; you'd think proper football supporters would welcome a breath of fresh air at the top of the table, but it just goes to show how some so-called football fans don't like a challenge. Not to worry, City fans have seen it all before, and have a terrific sense of humour. [:P]

[quote user="sid"]

I had a good laugh this evening reading the earlier snide remarks here; you'd think proper football supporters would welcome a breath of fresh air at the top of the table, but it just goes to show how some so-called football fans don't like a challenge. Not to worry, City fans have seen it all before, and have a terrific sense of humour. [:P]

[/quote] The trouble with some football supporters is that they can't take a little mickey taking. As for proper football supporters; try supporting AFC Wimbledon or Accrington Stanley, then you would indeed have a sense of humour. [:D] 

.........jealous posters.......and................snide remarks.......... Not a bit of it after you've taken all this stick from the Man U boys over the years for being second best.

The figures in my posting are from recent articles I've read and can be verified to within a few pounds.

The bigger picture here is the way a two tier system, just in a single division, is growing. Apart from six or seven clubs, and there could be slip ups amongst them, every other club in the division starts the season as a relegation candidate. There's another thread just started about the finance industry (which I missed) but it seems to me that the wage bills' of the clubs who have been bankrolled are becoming obscene.

By the way, how long have you had your tag line identifying you as a City supporter?

I had my signature since the glorious thrashing of Utd by my team earlier in the season. It was 6-1 by the way. I don't think Utd have ever inflicted such an embarrassing defeat on us, so it was worthy of a reminder. However, I've changed the signature, (it's not a tag line, by the way), to avoid upsetting those of a nervous disposition.

The figures you quote about the finances could, in all possibility be correct. They could also be a one-sided view, or a bit of economical truth. I don't think you can verify them unless you have access to the accounts. Are you the new self-appointed financial watchdog for English football? As it is, I don't run the club, I just enjoy the football as I have for as long as I can remember. It's easy (lazy) to quote other sources, but really I prefer it when other supporters have opinions of their own. I respect other supporters, but only when they are open about it; you haven't said who you support. Are you one of the ManU fans who left before the end of the FA Cup semi-final this year? Adrian Chiles made us laugh..."look at that (pointing to the empty stand before the end of the game), they'll be home in time to see our match summary!". Fancy going to Wembley to watch your team and then leaving before the end!

To be frank, I don't have any concerns about where the money comes from, and if it were all to end for City tomorrow I'll still remember seeing these wonderful footballers for the rest of my life, I'm thinking about David Silva for example, and of course not forgetting our home-grown talent Micah Richards. Ticket sales are not the main source of finance these days, you must know that; Mr Murdoch has more to answer for in that respect.

I often think of the thousands (millions!) of supporters of all the teams in the lower divisions who will never see succes performances we've witnessed this season, but they don't whinge about it, they continue to go week in, week out, following their team, and good luck to them. City were down in the depths of the second division not so long ago, so I do know what it's like, taking the rough with the smooth.

I hope you are from Manchester, or at least know where it is. Many Red fans know it's up the M1, M6, then a short drive through Cheshire. I'm a Mancunian by birth and I went to school in the 50's there, and well remember the school meals and the really cr4ppy meat we were served; a little research (the real Manchester schoolkids will know this already) came mostly from a well-known meat supplier in Miles Platting (I'd better say "allegedly" [6]) who financed the other Manchester team. So you see, money in football and its sometimes dubious origins, is nothing new.

My only hope now is that Sheikh Mansour doesn't turn out to be the new Michael Knighton. [:D]

I think I've said all that I'm going to say on this subject. [Www]

Interesting to see the FA's reaction in the future when a team appeals against a suspension for a straight red card sending off, ( Rooney has his 3 match ban reduced on appeal by the FA) but it will probably be in line with the hypocrisy spewed out by football generally in this day and age. By the way Sid I'm not a Manc or a Man U fan but you have a short or selective memory, 1994 mate. [:D] 

[quote user="NickP"]( Rooney has his 3 match ban reduced on appeal by the FA)[/quote]

Just a small point, it was UEFA that reduced the ban not the FA...(or am I reading that wrong?).  The 3rd match is suspended for 4 years, so methinks he will be serving that at sometime in the future..do you really believe he won't be sent of again in the next 4 years. Probably in the game against the Ukraine on his return, he's that stupid!

I think the sponsors for the Championships next year might have had a word in the odd shell-like over this. Rooney is one of the big names and without him, their advertising revenue might suffer.

I'm a red by the way. Born in Urmston so i think i'm allowed to be. My cousin was born in Urmston as well but his girls are all blue which I have always thought odd. They live down towards Marple so maybe that's why... a bit posh if you asked me.

I never like advertising i'm a ManU supporter as the level of abuse I get in pubs and such gets pretty nasty sometimes, so I try to keep it quiet. When it comes to Europe though I tend to enjoy watching/supporting the "English" teams. I say that loosely as there aren't many English playing in the teams anymore. Any time an English team gets a chance to poke Platini in the eye is fine by me.

Born Coven, Staffordshire. Nearest Football League club the Wolves.

First game, in the 50's when I was seven years old. If your Dad could lift you over the turnstile, you got in for free. Happy days.  [:D]

Virtually the pioneers of European footie. I've stood in all corners of the World with a crackly short wave trying to get the results on a Saturday afternoon.

It was bad when we nearly left the League but as a true supporter and football fan you soldier on.

You don't seem to want to address the problem about the money sloshing about in certain places ( I agree about Sky by the way, but didn't want to introduce another topic into the discussion). Wages in some clubs are still obscene though.  [6]

Try this for a bit of financial information. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/19/football-club-accounts-debt

There's lots of other reports on the web.

I do hope you don't only sing when you're winning.  [:P]