Clair

I tried to watch Avatar, really I did, but after 30 mn, Mr Clair and I decided to switch over to Country File...

As I see it, the acclaim it garnered can only be attributed to the use of 3-D, and as that technological "advance" cannot be seen on my TV, I fail to see any appeal in what's left... [blink]

Simplistic plot and message, silly, childish CGI characters...

I'd rather watch Star Wars' Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace again... and I really hate that irritating, puerile character [:'(] but at least, it's not on the screen for the whole duration...

A good friend of mine loves it and saw it a few times in 3d at the cinema, I suspect that that is what it is a spectacle in 3d.

I put it on, then I put Operaton Valykerie on and now we have Country File on and I came on here.

I'd rather have a good plot than new technology any day.

I want to be challenged, amused, shaken or even stirred! [:D]

If what's on the screen doesn't hold my attention, it  makes no difference whether it's made with gold filament or cheese strings... [:P]

[quote user="Clair"]

Simplistic plot and message, silly, childish CGI characters...

[/quote]

You can't please everyone all the time. But good for you! Half an hour into a film of 2 1/2hrs you made a choice to change channels or even (God forbid) use the off button.  I doubt that when the Ch4 executives were thinking of showing Avatar they could have forseen the pulling power of Country File and what an effect it would have on their viewing figures [Www].

I'm looking forward to the release of Street Dance II in 3D at the end of March...can't wait [:D]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Well I did watch Avatar, and I enjoyed it.

I had to change from Channel 4HD to normal Channel 4 as I couldn't stand the Audio Description and I can't find a way of turning it off.

[/quote]

Pierre, what I watched of it was also on HD, but there was not audio description... Maybe a setting on your TV?

Each to their own, à chacun son goût and all that... [:)]

I read that Cameron successfully completed his solo submersible dive to the depths of the Mariana trench in the Pacific yesterday. The dive complete with full 3D cameras, so there should be a good exclusive documentary available later in the year.

The 3D version of Titanic will be released this spring, another gem to look forward to..

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Curious is their HD transmission in Full HD or just the lower HD resolution.

[/quote]

It is of course at the lower res. 720P as (I think) are all the Sat HD channels

I tried all sorts of settings on my Sat box (a German one with only a German manual available [:@]  ) and the Samsung amplifier  and the Panasonic TV. Absolutely nothing would turn off the running commentary

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I tried all sorts of settings on my Sat box (a German one with only a German manual available [:@]  ) and the Samsung amplifier  and the Panasonic TV. Absolutely nothing would turn off the running commentary[/quote]

These might help:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1566067-panasonic-dmr-bs850-audio-commentary-aka-audio-description.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1460648-vcr-replacement-lg-drt389h.html#post16067702