So, we are all having to tighten our belts while...........

Bugsy

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Maybe 'South Today' only cover the positive......

[/quote]

You're right there

I might be wrong but hasn't the town benefited from a road improvement ?   [/quote]

If you call demolishing all the roundabouts, including the palm trees and replacing them with metropolis style Trafic lights, which are designed to create queues, (but at the flick of switch can provide a clear 'ZIL' route through for the functionaries)!, then perhaps, but they are locally disliked and described as an accident waiting to happen, even spawning a bumper sticker ''I survived the traffic lights at Asda, Weymouth''

The local traders are not happy that they are not allowed to use 'Olympic' or the ring symbol or even 2012 games in their advertising,  dorsetecho. .Cut_the_fun_and_Games/ so no olympic breakfasts or 5 ring accommodation, meanwhile the local bus company say a junction on the new relief road is too dangerous to use; and the familiar welcoming local stone pineapples have been removed  dorsetecho. .Campaign_to_bring_back_pineapples_to_Weymouth_gateway/ and replaced with  dorsetecho .Weymouth_Relief_Road_sculpture bill £332,291 .

Viewed by many as not a local event for local people, even traditional holiday bookings are believed down where families want avoid the Olympic crowd.

so no olympic breakfasts

LOL - the OH had an olympic breakfast at Chicklade (?) on the A303 just last weekend.....is it a local ban ?

[/quote]

I take it the LOL is Lots of Love?[:D]  .bbc.LOL Cameron; - the ban is enforced by the Olympic Committee on behalf of sponsors 'Croke a cola'  and Macedee and others who have bought the 'rights'

It's not a local ban. There have been a number of examples from a removal firm in Waltham Cross to a shoe shop in Derby which have been told to remove them. The removal firm had ben using the sign for years and the shoe shop in Derby was trying to show its support because the torch is due to go down that street.

I think the idea that there is a price on absolutely everything is annoying some other people as much as it's annoying me.

Hoddy

Ha! Olympics Schmolympics. You want to try living with my neighbours!! Not content with letting the entire horse world come and camp in their back garden last week, they've invited the world's crowned heads to lunch today, and tomorrow they're having 25000 troops round for a bit of a birthday bash. This means we'll be imprisoned in our own homes from 6 am tomorrow until the Red Arrows and a gaggle of spitfires have flown over the house and rattled all the windows. By comparison, the Olympics will be a minor inconvenience!

No she ain't...it's this bloke:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Afriyie[/url]

For whom I have a sneaking admiration. Mostly because I checked his parliamentary expenses during that furore, and guess what? He didn't have any worth talking about. He's that rare beast: gets the train to work, doesn't employ his wife, seems to survive without a moat, tennis court or ducks...

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]No she ain't...it's this bloke:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Afriyie[/url]

For whom I have a sneaking admiration. Mostly because I checked his parliamentary expenses during that furore, and guess what? He didn't have any worth talking about. He's that rare beast: gets the train to work, doesn't employ his wife, seems to survive without a moat, tennis court or ducks...
[/quote]

Our MP is another who takes the train to work and didn't have much in the way of expenses, if I remember Mrs May wasn't overly greedy either, she wrote to her constituents and told them she had a small flat in London as she often finished work after the last train to her local station...