Privatising the NHS

NormanH

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I would have been quite interested to read it, too. Unfortunately, I was never much good at algebra, and I can't really make head nor tail of what the study is trying to tell me. Perhaps someone brighter could summarise it?
[/quote]

Bullsh*t baffles brains?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]So, like many in the USA, it's going to come down to choosing between eating, clothing your family and having medical insurance top up cover? France also has unemployed people and those with no funds to pay for top up cover, and I'm sure there are folk in the UK who would baulk at having to pay to visit a GP when they're short of money as it is. Regrettably, it is often those who can least afford the luxury of paying to see a doctor who are most in need of medical help. Which is kind of where the NHS came in in the first place....

[/quote]

And yet many of those same poor people are more likely to be drinking at the bars, buying cigarettes, eating junk food etc, yet still expect others to pay for their healthcare...

That's why it is essential that people take more responsibility for themselves.

And in the USA, it's no wonder so many are sick with the amount of sugar in people's diets. If much sugar was cut out of foods etc, I bet we'd see healthier people. Interesting to note, excess consumption of sugar is a bigger killer than nicotine. I'm personally trying to cut right down on it and pay more attention to what I'm eating. It's hard because sugar is a very nice drug.

Currently smokers cost the NHS £5bn a year. The income from tobacco through tax is according to the HMRC is £12.1bn for 2011/12 according to their website. The gap between the cost of alcohol abuse, it's cost to the NHS and the amount of tax income from alcohol is much bigger. Perhaps the government should give the excess to the NHS. I suspect the figures in the US will be somewhat similar.