Artisan working from home?

opas

As we are new to france , this is a very grey area for us.
Ahouse facing us has been empty for about 18 months and recently a new tennant has moved in. All was well for a few weeks ,he even lent my husband a jig saw to finish a bit of DIY.Mr Opas commented at the time that this man has a garage full of wood working tools.
We dont know if he is a business or not but my question is are you allowed to set up a business from home in a residential area and if so/not who do we see about the noise levels,? he is constanly drilling or using an electric sander .
Mr Opas is thinking of going to speak with him over this isue except the man is catalan...not very easy to understand,any realistic comments apreciated

I would say if he has started a business, he should be registered in some way and local rules may say that he cannot do this from home. We have friends in another european country who work from home, but have to be registered to do it.I would ask at the Mairie.

If it is just bricolage then he's quite entitled to do it.

Whether a business or not, if there is excessive noise from machines, then he should respect the hours on the arrete prefectorale and those hours are available at your Mairie too.