House insurance .The cost of being lazy

Frederick

Due to the need to make a claim for a replacement TV antenna after a UK storm . I dug out the policy that I thought i was getting a good deal for as it was connected to my job at the time with special rates that also included the retired .. Being a bit lazy about checking it I continued to let the mandate carry on paying the renewal year after year .. I have now changed to a better cover for house and contents with a well known Bank who were certainly not the cheapest on offer but I felt would be secure ... I have still saved over £125 a year ..if I had gone for the cheapest it would have been nearer £200 . The cost of being lazy....Now how lazy have you been when it comes to checking your

house insurance cover cost ?

I think there are many who like me thought they were  "being looked after "  by their insurers because they had  been given a "special deal "

connected with their  employers  and did not bother to check up on just how much they were being  charged when compared with other insurers as time went by

If  one person has checked their policy as a result of my post to see if today the "special deal "  they thought they were getting is still valid and has found it  not  so  "special "    If they have  moved to see just what insurance  is available to them and at what cost ...And  like me discovered they have been paying well over the top by not doing it years ago and has now changed and made a big saving ...then job done ......I will be checking  what I am paying out for more often in future .

We insure our French house in the UK - did originally insure in France but costs far less in the UK plus none of the ridiculous laws (glad they are changing) where if you were not standing on your left leg with your right hand in a bowl of custard whilst balancing a plate of beans on toast on your head you could not cancel.

Currently in France and the insurance runs out whilst we are here. Called the company we are insured with to enquire the renewal cost. Told that the renewal offer had gone out but given the cost and it was emailed to me along with the policy documents etc. Did comparisons and staying with the existing company. Phoned and said we wanted to take up the renewal. Asked if I had received the documents to which I replied 'no'. Cannot renew as company policy dictates that we can only renew if you have read the documents. Replied I had as the email sent had included the documents and I had read them. So I was allowed to renew.

Obviously, you could lie and say I have read them but on your head be it but the company seemed to be protecting themselves and their clients.

My laziness paid off the other day, when I called to renew my UK house insurance.

The premium had been rising gently every year, and 11 months ago I thought i really should look elsewhere for this year, but had not got round to it.

When I got through to a human being, he said "Oh that looks quite a high premium, and you have been a customer for many years, haven't you? I'll see if we can do a bit better for you." And he managed to knock £170-odd off the renewal premium with no change to my cover or excess.

To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement.

Specially as it was the same day I was wrangling with the SAUR over my massive French water bill, and getting nowhere.

Angela