Rediscovering Grahame Greene

mint

I have started "The Heart of the Matter" and find it quite "dense" with multiple themes and also fascinating where it touches on the value systems of people living in that time.

A period piece certainly and told in a very different language from that of today's.  But it is timeless at the same time because after all, we as humans are this unique thinking, feeling, imagining species after all.

I don't think I've read any of Graham Greene's books, only seen the films. I saw Brighton Rock on TV, and remember the creepy scene with Attenborough in the phone box. Here's a scene from the film - I'd forgotten some of it was filmed at Southend sea front, near where we lived for a few years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ1NNoIbF5E

I don't know why, but I've been unable to sit and enjoy a novel for years. I prefer short stories, or non-fiction.

I've just bought the first Inspector Montalbano book, (in english) so I'll see how I get on with that. It's very short, 244 pages very widely spaced.

Pat, I believe that Somerset Maugham was THE acknowledged master of the short story.

You'd love his stories, Pat.  There is one where the story takes place in the Raffles Hotel in Singapore (or at least the hotel was a prominent location in the story).  There, I KNEW that would pique your interest[:)]

To date, I can only remember reading two Graham Greene books, Our Man in Havana and The Quiet American.

I have a copy of Brighton Rock brooding on my bookshelf.......... I started it, but cannot remember reading anything which starts with such menace and tension, I found it quite disturbing and have not picked it up again in an age.

Oh dear I hope his short stories aren't scarey. I have an idea they will be all doom and gloom Catholic.

I like to be cheered up when I read - that's why my favourite short stories are by Damon Runyon. And maybe the Jeeves ones, though I don't like Wodehouse's politics. And I like Chekov's short stories too, some are funny,  but they're not to everyone's taste.

I read some of Somerset Maugham's books and stories before and after we went to Singapore - very true to life.

[quote user="Patf"]Oh dear I hope his short stories aren't scarey. I have an idea they will be all doom and gloom Catholic.

I like to be cheered up when I read - that's why my favourite short stories are by Damon Runyon. And maybe the Jeeves ones, though I don't like Wodehouse's politics. And I like Chekov's short stories too, some are funny,  but they're not to everyone's taste.

I read some of Somerset Maugham's books and stories before and after we went to Singapore - very true to life.

[/quote]

Your spot-on remark has made me smile.  I understand completely what you mean, having finished The Heart of the Matter in the middle of the night.

Catholic guilt, yes, instilled in childhood, nurtured in school and brought to fruition in adulthood[+o(]  As Greene was a convert, it was unsurprising that he had it so badly![:)]  Near the end of the story, the Catholic priest said,"I'm sorry for anyone happy and ignorant who gets mixed up in that way with one of us.".  He meant up mixed up emotionally and "one of us" of course refers to Catholics.

Greene understood though it is one of those things you live with and, try as you might, you are never truly rid of that early indoctrination (though Greene himself was 22 years old when he converted).  I should know, having all my life tried to forget all that baggage and it still comes back to haunt me every so often!

PS apologies for the extra "e" in Graham:  it should have been GRAHAM GREENE

Short stories are such a special form of story telling.  Because you do not have the space to develop your characters, you need to be able to give them readily identifiable traits, you need to put them in a setting sufficiently distinguished (or humdrum too) to explain the subsequent events that unfold.

You have but a few lines to do all this and then you need to tell the story AND provide a conclusion within a very few thousand words.  I think you need to be a wordsmith of a tall order to write enjoyable short stories.

Norman, I know you don't like him, but are there any fans out there of de Maupassant?  I enjoy his stories a lot, his disdain of "pretense" and the airs and graces of "society" and his undoubted vein of cruelty and cynicism.

Somerset Maugham often expressed admiration of de Maupassant and said he drew inspiration from his stories for writing his own.

I don't dislike Maupassant at all.  I consider him to be one of the great masters of the short story.

Perhaps my favorite for its wisdom generosity and simplicity is

http://maupassant.free.fr/textes/ferme.html

Here are some others on-line:

http://maupassant.free.fr/contes3.htm

Index:http://www.etudes-francaises.net/nefbase/maupas_contes.htm

There is even one (not his best) that takes place not 300 metres from Chez moi  [:)]

http://maupassant.free.fr/textes/tombe.html

My only objection was in another thread where someone was looking for 'modern' writing, and I felt that Maupassant didn't tick the box ...

My husband is an admirer of Maupassant. He's not a big reader of this kind of literature but somehow found these stories and told me about them.

I enjoy short stories more than novels, being an impatient restless kind of person, who likes neat, succint summaries rather than long-draw-out sagas.

I also have some kind of affinity with Russian literature. They have quite a tradition in short stories starting from Pushkin and Gogol, through Dostoevsky up to Chekov. Then others afterwards.