Bah Humbug !

Gardian

Had an email from our elder son today, which (amongst other things) told us that they had made an appointment somewhere for our grandson (18 months) to see Father Christmas in mid-Dec.

Not only had they had to make a booking, but it was going to cost TEN QUID !!!

This has been a bad shock to my system - I’m still getting over being told a few years back that you have to PAY to get in to pubs on New Year’s Eve!

I’m beginning to think that I might be a bit out of date (in more ways than one!). Surely a pint of bitter doesn’t cost more than £2.25, does it?

I shall tell you what shocked me, them taking a baby to see Santa.

This is as bad as parents having birthday parties for one year olds, even two year olds..... how many of us on here can remember one thing from such a young age.

A pint, well OH pays £1.34 and £1.49 in one of our locals, and in another £1.82....my soft drinks cost more grrrrrr!

[quote user="idun"]I shall tell you what shocked me, them taking a baby to see Santa.

This is as bad as parents having birthday parties for one year olds, even two year olds..... how many of us on here can remember one thing from such a young age.[/quote]

You have to start the lies at a very young age in case they learn otherwise. Then you tell them not to sit on mens laps. Don't take sweets from strangers, then they walk the streets at Halloween doing just that......

Couldn’t agree more Patf. Ours went out to do the paper-round in our road & thereabouts. Out at 07.00, sometimes in the hissing rain, but back by 08.00. It was their hard-earned money & we topped it up by a bit. Do paper-rounds still exist?

Apart from that, I’ve never been a big fan of this Halloween lark! I remember once answering the door to some garishly dressed children doing the ‘trick or treat’ business. I invited them to shove off and was called a “Miserable Old Burgher” by their mother who was at the end of the drive. I told her that I’d put my hand up to just one of those words!

Christmas presents for the little grandson, Cendrillon? Well, being over here and them over there, purchases of French (some lovely different stuff) clothing goes down very well, but the time will come when he’ll want something other than clothes!