UK Entry - Passport or Carte de Sejour

LAST EDITED ON 21-May-04 AT 12:40 PM (BST)

Our son had to do it on a couple of occasions but he rang ahead to the port and asked BF if it was acceptable and they agreed it would be OK.

Only problem was on the first occasion, BF staff denied he had rung, typical, but in the end he argued his point about the French being allowed to travel to the UK on their ID cards and they allowed him on the ferry. He did have his expired passport with him. He has since got a new passport at some expense from the Embassy in Paris!!

A few friends have found it a lot cheaper to give an address in the UK and apply from there and why not, you are the same person and not trying to fiddle or get out of any more, than paying the stupid price of applying from a Consulate/Embassy abroad.

Miki

I telephoned the embassy in Paris a few months ago with this query,the person I spoke to said that I `should be ok for entry to the UK,but would not be able to leave!!!!!` this being by air.
My husband produced his carte sejour at ryan air check in desk in Gerona a couple of weeks ago to be promply asked in french for his passport,which he then gave,would have been interesting to see how far he could have gone without producing his passport,If I were you I should contact the Embassy yourself to clarrify the situation.

Why not just apply to the British Embassy in Paris for a renewal of your old passport, you can download the application forms from the net. We had ours renewed last week, total time from posting the application at our local post office to getting our new ones was 8 days, and one of those days was a bank holiday.

Would reccommend this approach rather than taking someones word over the phone that all will be ok with a CDS, only to be left high and dry when you need to travel.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards

David and Sam (Dept 37)

not really relevent i suppose but whilst in Germany I left for a business meeting in London and forgot my passport and managed to get into the UK on just my old style driving licenses - no photo - even more surprising I managed to get back into Germany in the evening.

regs

Richard