Did anyone see "Brexit, the Uncivil War"?

mint

I put it on for a taster because I heard that Benedict Cumberbach put in an award-winning performance.  But I was hooked and just HAD to stay watching till the end.

Frankly, I was surprised that this film was allowed to be shown, given the present critical time in the Brexit debate and just in advance of the anticipated "meaningful vote" in parliament.

I'd like to know others' opinions but, please, no abusive or insulting posts.  Hoddy's got her hands full and there are some of us who continue to be fully engaged in this subject and we deserve to be able to sound out others of like or unlike mind[:)]

So nobody's seen it or, if they did, don't care to comment?

Can't say I blame you as comments could get "out of hand" yet again[;-)]

To me, it was like a psychological thriller and quite scary in parts.  The Cumberbach character could happily belong in a Stephen King film[:-))]

I don't know how much tv you watch, mint, or how much English language radio you listen to. I confess, now the Christmas ceasefire has finished, to being all Brexited out. Not even the fragrant Benevolent Cucumberpatch could entice me to watch a drama about Brexit for entertainment, on top of having it rammed down my throat by the media from sunrise to sunset and beyond every blessed day.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Ooo, I meant to watch that. Thanks mint, that's my catch-up viewing organised for tonight![/quote]

Loiseau, did you watch it?  And, if you did, did you enjoy it?  Well, maybe not enjoy, but were you disturbed by it and did you find some of it scary?

Curious......moi...

mint, I finally caught up with it, and thought it gripping, and quite chilling to see how people can be manipulated.

I was reading an article today, in The Week, by Dominic Cummings's wife (originally published in The Spectator, I think). She said they had B Cumberbatch to dinner one evening, by the end of which he had absorbed DC's posture and mannerisms to a T.

Wow!!!  That, Loiseau, as they say, is awesome!  I mean the bit about  Cumberbatch getting the character.....I never cease to be amazed by the art and craft of actors.

I too saw on interview, this time from Cameron's "man" and he too said he felt they'd got right a great deal about him.  He did say that the meeting between the 2 men never happened in real life but he felt that it added something to the drama.

Thanks for coming back, Loiseau, I did want to have your thoughts on this one[:D]

On a completely different tack, I am dying to tell you how I got the word "blindé" into a conversation.  I mentioned on here, on another thread, that blindé was a word I didn't know and whose meaning I wouldn't have guessed for a thousand years.  So, I determined to use it ASAP (the way I do new words that I have learned).  On Friday, during a walk, we came across a freshly ploughed field with great clods of black, churned-up mud.  This is an unusual sight hereabouts because our land is mostly thin and poor and full of calcaire (great for growing vines, of course).  Everybody remarked on the condition of the ground and I said, casual as I could manage, o la, la, this looks like a blindé has passed over it....

Loiseau, I thought you'd like this story.  Shows you how you can make people think you know a lot more than you do, doesn't it?  Just like in the film[:P][:D]

Well done, mint, re "blindé". Did they all applaud you?

I have just learnt a new expression thanks to ericd in another thread:

"...do not listen to hear-say (bruits de chiottes in my language) ..." !

If you would like me to scan The Week article and email it to you, send me a pm with your email address.