Birth certificates

Bisho

I'm shortly moving to Normandy and hsve recently read that mine, my parents and my grandparents birth certificates may be required for reasons unspecified. Has anybody experienced this requirement and, if so, for what?

Hi

We have been here (Deux-Svres) for over 2 years now and have done most things - registered for health cover, obtained cartes de sejour, done tax returns etc and have never been asked for parents or grand parents birth certificates. We only needed ours for health stuff (CPAM) and Cartes de Sejour.

regards

Su

I would make sure that I had a full birth cerificate with me when I came. The short one is of little use here.

I do know of french people who have been required to give family details going back through the generations, but no one british.

Only our birth certificates have ever been asked for and constantly here for all sorts of things. However, for our first CDS we had to give details of our parents and grandparents names and dates of birth etc but not birth certificates which we would not hold anyway for living relatives. It all boils down to the fact that the british do not have a Livret de Famille like the french which gives every detail you can think of and even for renewing our kid's bus passes for school we were refused until we explained why we did not have one and this is after nine years of them using school transport, but copies of all our birth certificates did eventually suffice. By the way, we,all of us only have little certificates about half the size of the marriage certificate and this has never even been a problem.