What is the situation in French care homes?

PaulT

As per the title.

It seems a very strange situation in UK care homes. Now, I am sure that if a resident broke a leg they would be taken to hospital. However, if a resident has Covid-19 they stay in the care home until they die. The NHS puts out releases that it has spare capacity in intensive care and that some of the Nightingale ward units are not being used or have very few patients. Why aren't at the very least, those residents who are seriously ill with the virus being taken to hospital to use some of that spare capacity to put on the 'spare' ventilators to try and save them?

Seems if the person is in a care home with Covid-19 the relatives need to call the undertaker because the NHS will not get involved.....no doubt due to a decision taken by the government.

I have not been following this, but weeks ago it was bad, tv reports and things in the press about it.

And as in the UK, the death figures were not being included.
I actually do not think that that matters, as anyone with good sense would realise that the most vunerable will be most vunerable to this, especially living in close proximity to others. Meaning that there will be more deaths.

I am pretty sure that it has been the same in many other countries.

The figures in French EHPADS make grim reading:

but are included in the total as can be seen on the site above.
The three numbers in RED are for a total, and deaths in  Hospital and separately in EHPADS
At the  time of writing the total was 17167   Hospital 10,643; and EHPAD 6524

The UK does not include these in its total, so a comparison of figures of deaths would be misleading.

There is also a tendency to distinguish between "death from" and death with" . The second category are not counted as Covid deaths.

"As many folks are dying in old folks homes as in the hospitals"

That appears to be a statement of the obvious, regardless of the current crisis. Of course old people die in old folks homes.

As regards Belgium the numbers include deaths that are considered "linked" to the coronavirus even if it has not been proven by tests. So the deceased may not have died of coronavirus and may not even have had the virus.

As I have said elsewhere the only figures that matter in the end are the figures comparing deaths this month/ quarter or year with previous periods.

The main thing is not to allow the government(s) and the media to frighten you. They will undoubtedly find a way to justify their inept and totalitarian response. The situation in France has put me off living there and the UK, under a so-called conservative party, has embraced communism.