Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intriguing, fascinating, informative......I'm running out of adjectives but this is something very close to your heart (Norman's heart but perhaps many more hearts than just his)[:)]

[url]https://www.france.tv/france-5/chef-d-orchestre-symphonie-pour-un-cerveau[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Merci mille fois [:D]

Pure JOY
A wonderful selection of music, just right for lifting the spirits.

And what SUPERB performances: exactly the style of playing I most appreciate and in s sublime setting.

I had just had my first cup of tea when I switched it on, and had intended to pause it and have a second cup at an oppotune moment, but I was so entranced that I listened all the way through in one go as I couldn't bring myself to stop it.

What a marvellous start to the week.[:)]

Yes, a charming little programme.  These concerts from Daniel Hope's home are enjoyable, interesting and, most importantly, of very good quality.  It's a lovely intimate atmosphere and makes you feel as though you might be a house guest.

We do know of many young struggling musicians in London.  Their housing costs alone are enough to make life very difficult, especially if they have young children as well.  It's very sad but instead of making wonderful music, they are lucky just to make ends meet.  It doesn't bode well for the future of musical performance, does it? 

• 3 weeks later...
Magnificent singing, both clips.  I knew you had posted these and I rushed home from my walk and  and threw myself into leaf-raking to finish both activities in record time so that I could sit down and enjoy them![:D]

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
If you, like me, simply love the Mendelssohn violin concerto, here is Vengerov playing it in the piazza in front of the cathedral in Milan.

[url]https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/097560-000-A/concerto-per-l-italia-riccardo-chailly-maxim-vengerov/[/url]

I think this concerto has everything that a violin concerto should have.  Plus I really enjoyed the camera showing close-ups of Vengerov's hands playing.  His bowing technique is just fantastic.

I wouldn't have recognised Vengerov though if I hadn't known it was him.  What happened to the slim young, dark-haired man whose playing first entranced me when I heard him play this very piece in Cardiff[:-))]

Good gracious what on earth is in that email, my dear Norman?  I couldn't get into the account.  I had a message to say we are sorry but your email is temporarily unavailable[:-))]

Incendiary contents or........what?[:D]

Now we'll have everybody WONDERING[8-|]

My gmail account accessible again.  I have replied.  Lovely message.  I was talking to my kiné this afternoon about Vengerov's appearance on Arte yesterday evening.

I think he is doing good work on my scars but it's very nice to talk to someone about music and languages regardless[:)]

• 3 weeks later...
I heard this on the radio this morning and it literally stopped me in my tracks.  Unbelievably lovely and a wonderful chorus with her.  By the time I went out for my walk this afternoon with my well-distanced friends (and according to official advice), I talked about this endlessly.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsgywuMqHI[/url]

This evening on Arte, they had a programme starting with Caballe singing Casta Diva, using that very clip I posted.  Apparently, it was on a now legendary evening in the amphitheatre in Orange when the mistral was blowing back in 1974!

Phew, I'm out of breath just thinking about singing under those conditions.  But, unfortunately, I couldn't watch the programme because I was busy writing and printing using libreoffice that you recommended!

The prog was in German of which I understood very little.  Do you know how to get French subtitles on German programmes?

• 3 weeks later...