Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend who played the French horn in the Covent Garden orchestra...
he told me of a concert on a cramped stage where she had to try to squeeze on to the stage by a tiny space between brass players....
One of them said to her..."what if you came on sideways?"...and she replied "buster there AIN'T no sideways" [:D]

• 3 weeks later...
Oh b......., I was looking forward to your watching that and our having a discussion afterwards.

Such a prodigiously talented musician and she brings a freshness to the music that I so admire.

As compensation, here is a link to one of her concerts:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hOLtf9RjBM[/url]

In the film, she talks about her love of baroque music and William Christie and Simon Rattle talk about her wonderful gift as a musician.

Looking forward to watching your link. Strangely enough, I didn't know about Elgar's work but I came across Newman's poem years before that when I accompanied a friend to a religious retreat. The things that live on in one's mind.............!

[url]https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/arabesques/orchestre-de-chambre-d-europe-4-5-72214[/url]

From this afternoon, several items you will like.  But could you listen to 14.52hrs Anne Sophie von Otter.....ravishing!  Lots of other goodies but this was the one I heard as I arrived back after RV with ophthalmologue and shopping![:D]

• 2 weeks later...
And how do you like this?  Haven't been able to find anything as I couldn't get the sound to work.  Then Sue, dear Sue who knows all this techie stuff, has just explained to me what to do.

So you are the beneficiary......[:D]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqIEi7K6pw&list=PLPbXc7LB8YeIrGNlIeTn13RturSLjp2v7&index=1[/url]

Gorgeous music..I have one caveat...she tends to  start a little under the note in the longer value notes)  then glide up onto it  rather than starting in tune and making a crescendo .. This is a modern technique from jazz singers that I find mannered in this music..

compare with

at about 8minutes 30

or this one at 6 minutes 50

Even Schwartzkopf whom I don't associate with this music avoids that error

about 6minutes 30..

Thank you for the links; I have now listened to them all[:)]

Enchanting singing and, like you, I love it when a singer hits a note right in the middle; no messing about, as it were!  I do think that only the very best singers can do this consistently.  Where there is no vibrato, you do notice this more and I do understand what you mean by "mannered in this music".

Dream of Gerontius is wonderful, maybe the best that I have heard and I have heard this both live and recorded many times.  So, thank you for posting that.

Next I want to find you something about a Donizetti work that was performed last week in the Barbican but there seems very little information as yet on line.