Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a bit guilty telling you about this programme, knowing that you can't access it[:(]

For me, it was a lovely trip down memory lane though I realise you might have been frustrated that you didn't get pieces of music in their entirety[:)]

However, it was more a docu on music in the last century than just on the music itself.  So, you have music from the 2 coronations, Shostakovic and the Leningrad, Myra Hess playing all those lunchtime concerts,  Britten and Peter Grimes and Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra  and the moving of the proms to the Albert Hall, the building of the royal festival hall, etc etc so full of nostalgia, at least for us oldies.

Also, on an incredible note, they talked about how much music there was in those poor, lean years post war where the country was in ruins and no money to spare.  Lots and lots of music for all strata of society.

Then, of course, the establishment of the welfare stare, the health service, education reforms and the most glorious, responsible, impressive labour government ever[:)]  There was a clip of Atlee, talking about not only looking after the physical needs of the people but the necessity of nourishing their soul.

When, I asked myself, was the last time I heard a politician talk about the nation's "soul"???  Certainly not May and not any of the present-day sorry rabble ..............[6]

Where did we go wrong and where has all the money gone?  No school orchestras, AFAIK, in the state sector.

But, I am getting carried away.  What I want to tell you is that the BBC are celebrating our Century of Classical Music on Sunday evenings and there are bound to be some gems.

Can you therefore find a way of getting these programmes?

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, I didn't see the programme.  It was advertised in the schedule but the time was then put back on account of some docu/film about Coco Chanel and I couldn't stay up any longer as I expected a long day today.

I'll have another look tomorrow but, if you do find it in the meantime, could you come back and let me know?  It sounded good in the pub and Barenboim was one of many others featured.

LOVELY programme......enjoyed it hugely!  For me some surprises as well.  For example, I didn't think she would sing the Bellini; thought her voice wouldn't be big enough.  Also West Side Story which she did with credibility and intelligence.

Some goose bump moments too as in the Sistine Chapel.

Also enjoyed all the lovely shots of all the locations.

• 3 weeks later...
Fascinating Norman. I've heard of Lully but never really listened to his music. Born 1632, he was one or 2 generations before my favourite J S Bach.

Google has a good cartoon of Bach playing the organ, to commemorate his birthday yesterday.
I might have posted this one before, gives me the shivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGe0j52KcA
Watch the singer's expressions, especially the leading ?counter tenor and the lady next to him.

That is a tremendous performance; one of my very favorite groups in this repertoire:)

Speaking of Lully I think you will have heard this piece

I have the DVD of this tremendous performance of "Le bougeois Gentilhomme' which has incidental music by Lully, but what is particularly interesting is the fact that the pronunciation is that of the 16th C... and easier for us to hear than that of modern French!!

It is very long but an amusing bit is around 17 minutes where the music and dance teachers are trying to get Mr Jourdain to take (paying) lessons from them with all the reasons  we give for the arts today but in this section their baser motives and pretension is laid bare :))))
Lully's music is lovely all the more so in context and with the period dances

Please excuse me, haven't had time to follow your links.  Visitor expected Tuesday so chasing my own tail and trying to get done all the stuff that calls for attention.

In the meantime, here is something for you, Norman and Pat:

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bck1gp[/url]

BTW, I love Lully; used to listen to some Lully before each French session of teach-yourself-French!  Just to get myself into a receptive mode then I might play some Adam. I know, not the same period but, to my mind, great for getting into French mode.

On the same tack, I think I have found a French class I might enjoy so hope to start soon[:D]

Still looking for that petit créneau to follow your links.  Alas "me" time in VERY short supply recently but I look forward to gorging on everything[:D]

Here is tonight's concert from Arte......here is what chamber orchestras do and here is a violinist who does wonderful things with his violin.  Here is the divine and no church-going needed.  

• 2 weeks later...
Shedloads of apologies......how scatter-brained can I get?

Here it is: [url]https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080982-000-A/concerto-pour-violon-n-3-de-mozart/[/url]. 

And thank you for all the links which I have now enjoyed.  I love the Lullies and the Bach cantata.  I did enjoy an evening years ago with the actors/singers explaining the significance of their gestures and how "old" French differs from modern French.  Actually, even though my French wasn't up to much in those days, I understood lots of it as the music helped explain everything.  Great voices and atmosphere, the whole place being lit solely by candles as they would have been in the day.

I have Baker's Nuits d'été and a couple of others as well.  But the one I listen to most frequently is this one:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-gISFdfVM[/url]  So beautiful......

There is a languid quality that is suggestive of summer.

Is this downloadable, accessible in any shape or form for you?

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00048q7/janet-baker-in-her-own-words[/url]

Would be a great shame if you can't.  All your favourites, lots of Purcell, Dido's Lament, her best known roles plus stuff about her personal life and sorrows.  She even sings my favourite song from les nuits d'été, le spectre de la rose.

If you do get to see it and Didonato appears in the first couple of minutes, don't worry, she doesn't sing, only talks a bit!![:D]

• 2 weeks later...