Help!!!

Missy

Please help a knight and a damsel in distress!!

JayJay and I don't know what we've done to upset the forum elves/gremlins...

All our postings are madly going skew-iff with a mind of their own...

Have a look in the thread : 'Reading could be the death of you' in ' The lighter side of France' and on an other thread (can't remember which?) where JayJay had the same problem happening to him....

Promise we were good! We didn't do anything we weren't supposed to do.

Well! our Mums didn't tell us about it so how were we to know!!!!!

Please help so we can come out to play again!...

That sort of thing is usually caused by HTML code that creeps in where it shouldn't. It's usually in a user's signature (not necessarily yours, could be the person who posted ahead of you) but can happen if you import pictures, particularly smileys, from some other sites.

I had a quick look at one of the JayJay posts you mentioned and there was indeed a lot of extra html code, although I tried to edit it out the problem reappeared, so it is most probably in something like a user's signature (which I think nobody but the user or forum admin can alter).

Edit - I also looked inside your post to which you referred above, and my guess would be that problem is connected with the database failure on the Archant servers, when posts were made and did not appear, and their subsequent attempts to diagnose and repair the problem yesterday evening. So it looks like two separate things that have combined to go really strange.

[quote]Thankyou Will & MYB. Sorry Will, i did try to put on an imported emoticon in my last post but as you can see, it went pe[/quote]

Sorry JayJay!! to have presumed you were a bloke!

Just that I know a couple of chaps nicknamed JayJay and they are big burly rugby playing blokes!!

Sorry! I can't use emoticons from this computer at work but if I could there would be plenty showing how sorry I am!...

Will the Conqueror (surely must be a bloke!) must be pleased to help 2 damsels in distress then...

or most likely going "Heck! Weemin'!?!" rolling his eyes rocking his chair!.....

;¬) ! :¬D !!

sorry have to make do with this silly punctuation instead of the funny faces!...

[quote]Sorry JayJay!! to have presumed you were a bloke! Just that I know a couple of chaps nicknamed JayJay and they are big burly rugby playing blokes!! Sorry! I can't use emoticons from this computer at w...[/quote]

and the problem still remains....

Don't understand it at all...

Back to the post when it first went wrong on me, I didn't touch anything else other than the usual button to 'post reply' for sending it, which is when I noticed that it didn't appear on the forum!....

Oh well! ...

:¬( !

Jenny, I have had a look at your posts and the problem is that they contain a lot of code that converts them - and following posts - to table formats. Certainly if I remove all code and re-do the post it just goes back to what it was before, so it looks like something the system is putting in rather than anything you (or I) are doing.

I believe when this has happened before the problem was that the rogue code came from the signature that can go at the bottom of one's posts. It doesn't matter that you haven't actually set up a signature - it could come from a corruption in the member database, just like happened recently. You could try going to your profile and either making sure the 'signature' bit contains nothing (you probably won't see the HTML code so it's a matter of trying to delete invisible text) or replacing it with another, sensible, signature. In the meantime I'll refer it to forum admin.

Sorry Admin, Will and all

I think the problem is still with me...

I have just put a reply in the thread 'Food & Wine - Killing a pig'

and the actual text has not appeared.

Also the bit that says 'Previous page - Next page' was within my square quoted reply.....

Yet last night all the postings I made went tickety-boo! But then I was at a different computer so may be this one is corrupted and the other one was OK...

Sorry to cause you more problems!

[quote]Hi Missyesbut, I have had to change your signature slightly as there seemed to be some rogue code in there. Hope you don't mind but this should now cure the problem. I have done the same for jayjay. ...[/quote]

Thank you Forum Admin!

I notice too that my user name and my Email address appear on each posting now.

Sorry to be difficult but I prefer only my user name to appear! Sorry!!

What do I need to do to take my Email address off?... I only want it in use when you have to press the PM button or the Email one which is within all of our postings.

Many thanks for the trouble you have taken already.