General performance.

I've dozens of bookmarks, and almost without exception, clicking on a link opens the page (Firefox or Dillo) in microseconds. More often than not, these forums have a chronic delay, giving the appearance of almost hanging. I can't believe that the servers are getting swamped with traffic, so is there some other problem?

It's rather frustrating most of the time for me.

Cheers [;-)]

Just a couple of comments;

Today Clair posted " near swimming pool disaster" but this has gone in to a time warp and is now registered as being posted yesterday.

I replied  to Adriana yesterday on the "allowing guests to surf the net etc." but the site has not been updated

................bizarre!

Gremlins?[8-)]

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

and another point;

why do some threads suddenly go W.........I..........D......E.......... and spill all over the screen?........................I am sure there must be a simple answer but it's beyond me![8-)]

[/quote]

Yes Gill,  when that happens I can't even be bothered to read them.

Sometimes the W...I...D...E  problem occurs because someone has posted a photo that's toooooooo big.

Reduce the size of your photos, LFers!

Other times it's because a 'link' is too long, but I wouldn't know where to start with making them smaller.

There may be other factors at work, but I suspect these are the main culprits.

I still don't get alerts for PM's by the way, so something is still not quite right.

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

and another point;

why do some threads suddenly go W.........I..........D......E.......... and spill all over the screen?........................I am sure there must be a simple answer but it's beyond me![8-)]

[/quote]

Tresco's got it right. 

I  also find it irritating.  It ruins the usability of the forum if you have to scroll back and forwards to read a message and there is absolutely no need for it. 

1. Photos - don't post images wider than 600px.
  2. When making a link all you have to do is TYPE SOME TEXT then use the URL tool in the forum message toolbar to make a link out of it.
If you've got IE7 as your browser the forum does lose the latter option but that's not usually the reason people don't do it.  In those cases you can put TinyURL  in your toolbar to shorten long URLs - only takes a minute and saves irritating the hell out of other forum users.