Marrying in France

LinNLin

I'm sure that this has been covered before but my attempt at searching the archives came up with nothing to do with marriage!

We have lived in the Cantal for 11 years now and our offspring all love the area too. So much so that my son is expressing an interest in getting married here. He currently lives in England and is not likely to move here before getting married - unless he needs to, in which case we lose a bedroom! Can anyone enlighten me on the procedure, costs and any pitfalls there may be?

Many thanks

Lin

Thanks for your replies. I have sent my son the link for the British Embassy - that should keep him occupied for a bit! Today I went to the Mairie to ask if they had any information. Their gut reaction was that without a French Identity card of some sort (ie Carte de Sejour, even though not issued any more) my son and his fiancee would not be able to marry in France. The secretary is going to make enquiries for me anyway so I'll keep you posted in case it is of interest to anyone else.

Hi

We're (hopefully) getting married here a week on Saturday, but had we known how much bureacracy was involved, it probably would have been cheaper to fly back to England!

Having paid 150 euros for translations of birth certificates & divorce papers, 112 euros for 2 'certificat de coutume's from the British Embassy, numerous phone calls and visits to local Mairie (who know nothing of the procedure for 'etrangers') and the 'Tribunal' in the prefecture town (in trying to find certified translators - none apparently in our department so it meant a 2 hour drive to get to one). Now at the eleventh hour - 8 days to go - it appears that we need birth certificates less than 6 months old. This meant a phone call to England and another 55 pounds for new copies of the same pieces of paper with no new information on them except a date!!! We hope they arrive before Friday - our deadline - as our visitors from England will be arriving come what may.

The British Embassy were not any help at all in 'advising' which bits of paper we would need.

The Mairie did supply us with a booklet, in French, with the appropriate boxes ticked as to what we needed to supply, but regarding the birth certificates, it said 'si possible'. Of course what they meant was 'absolutely vital'.

It also appears that you must be resident in France for at least 3 months to be able to marry, but we have no carte de sejour or carte d'identite, and this wasn't a problem (they took a photocopy of our passports).

The easy part was the medical - being over child-bearing (I hope!) age, we didn't have to have a blood test or x-rays, just a blood pressure check. That was the only part that has been free - the doctor said it was a wedding present!

It's tricky, because you need to start obtaining the paperwork well in advance, but some bits can't be more than 2 months old! And the Mairie won't give you a definite date until you've got all the paperwork - catch 22!

If your son goes for it - we wish him good luck, lots of patience and perseverance!

Gill & Alan

God, I'm trying this at the moment too. The kid in the Marie didn't understand me; she insisted I was French. I have never had a Livret de Famille, despite translating enough documents to sink the Bismark twice over, being divorced here, in fluent French, and having one daughter born here. This is getting silly. All I want to do is get married...

Battypuss, I don't suppose that your first husband was french was he?

Also, you could contact the Consulate and get you nationality confirmed with them and if by chance your former husband was french, you may have to contact the nationality dept at the Tribunal d'Instance and see what your status is exactly, the Mairie will certainly accept whatsoever the Tribunal d'Instance tell them.