Profiles

Dick Smith

On some forums this sort of post is made by proactive mods, but I'll have a go instead.

There have been many instances lately of people asking questions, to which the first response is "If we knew where you are we could advise you".

It would be very helpful, friendly and pleasant (IMHO) if people would put some information into their profiles, at least where they are in the UK (county) and France (Departement number or town). You could also include some basic info, such as your gender, and anything else you feel happy to share.

Just a thought. Do it now. You know it makes sense.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Quite right and it's been raised before.

Simple answer is to make UK county and / or French departement an obligatory field when setting up a profile.  (You'll probably tell me now that a profile isn't obligatory!) 

[/quote]

Take a look at mine and you'll see that people can put what they want into it.[:D]. I'm a believer, as far as location is concerned, but I don't think it should be obligatory.

It would be better if at some appropriate point in the 'welcome' blurb, new members were strongly encouraged to add their French location (if they have one), with a crisply stated reason.

Like this: 'No one (except you and two goats) knows where Petit Bois de la Source aux Whatevever is, so please give your Department name and nearest large town if asking where to buy gravel....(or indeed, anything)'.

[quote user="Prasutagus"]

Very good point which I have acted upon...

However, I see my location in the UK as not being relevant to discussions about France.

[/quote]

Yes, but people ask things like "Are there any flights to Bergerac?" and "Can I grow parsnips in France like I do at home?", without saying where they live in the UK