I'm getting disillusioned

I’m getting disillusioned with this forum, its become a place I’m not sure I enjoy any more, with all the hidden under tones that if you are not ‘in the know’ you are just left in out in the cold, completely confused with what’s going on! Petty arguments, sniping at each other, nit picking at other peoples posts and I thought it was us women that were supposed to sharp tongued and b**chy, but some of you men take the biscuit.

Please don’t spoil a wonderful forum with all this rubbish, treat the treads with respect and give the same replies that you would give to someone face to face, just like any conversation.

This forum is a wonderful medium where people can exchange experiences, ask questions, offer advice, have a bit of banter and enjoy reading and participating in posts, but just lately things have changed.

We all hide behind anonymity but I don’t think that entitles us to disrespect the forum or other people and their views.

Maybe I’m just naive and things go on over my head, but what’s the point in posting something that only a handful know what’s going on, if we are all not to be ‘in the know’ then use the pm button instead of all the under tone and nod nod wink wink lark.

Well I’ve said it now, I’ll probably get a lashing, but at least I feel better!

Chipie

Chipie - the forum rules are such that those of us 'in the know' are unable to explain without the threat of being banned, due to the blanket veto on any discussion of how the forum is run.

Suffice it to say that there are two major issues at the moment. You could PM me for an explanation, but one is fully covered in the 'Misuse of Blogs' thread.

Sorry, Chipie, I'd hate to think that you felt excluded. 

Dick can explain the second, non-blog-related, reason for the secret squirreldom, but unfortunately not on the open forum.  Despite what his signature says. [:D]

I'm not even sure PMs are secure, whatever anyone says! [;-)]

I don't have too much of a problem with what people say, as I can ignore it with impunity if I don't like it. I would prefer that people were not rude but I find it difficult to take offence when both I and the offender are anonymous.

It's where it is posted that bugs me. By all means have a free for all, general banter, nonsensical discussion, private jokes, etc in one of the chat sections or if the original post clearly calls for this treatment. But quite why a post by someone looking for some practical advice on a specific point should be hi-jacked by the "club" and turned into something completely different is beyond me - and, I understood, against forum rules. It must be off-putting for new members to find their posts treated in this way. And it must mean that often they do not get the information they are seeking as the original question has long been swamped by a series of irrelevant nonsense.

So, please, folks. Try to keep it relevant.

[quote user="Chipie"]

Hi

I'm not fishing to find out whats happening! I just needed to say how I and mybe others might be feeling while all this stuff is going on.

Thank you Dick for your offer

Chipie

[/quote]

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Several of us think that what we are discussing is important.

Dick

Its not that I think its not important, I just do not want/need to get involved.

I too would make alot of noise if I thought I had seen an injustice done.

But my OP was not directed at the thread I think you are refering to ( I've only got to page 3 after you mentioned it) still reading![geek]

Chipie

I grt disillusioned too, but some of the people on this forum are no longer due to the way the forum gets run sometimes.  Its a great pity as usually the forum is a wealth of knowledge, so useful to those looking to move to France or those which have and are finding it all a bit of a mine field.

Sadly some of the older members have left not necessarily of there own free will, some have left because of this.

It is important to some of us that have used these sorces which helped with schooling questions or which is the best whipped cream substitute. 

It may help matters if a disagreement of opinion was approached  thus:"I disagree,this is how I.............." instead of such comments as "that is utter claptrap". I am very wary now of helping with the simplest of problems,as I have been humiliated on several occasions by people who,I am sure,are also prone to road rage,whilst locked in their safe car! The worlds greatest minds have differing opinions.Is it acceptable to be rude to someone when opinions differ[8-)]? Lets see more of this[:D],this[;-)],and this[:-))],and less of this[:(],this[:@],this[:'(],and this[B].....Sorry,omit that last one.

Problem is, Pogo, some people use [:D] and [;-)] etc. to excuse pathetic, thinly disguised insults. There are many examples - it would not take long to make a fine collection!   I fact, I'm sure I have one somewhere ...

At least you know where you are with Sad [:(],thisAngry [:@] and thisCry Out [:'(].

Beers all round (almost) [B] [B] [B]

If the second issue is between a blog writer and Forum Admin, why are so many other people chipping in expecting and commenting on the apology given?  Surely if PG is not satisfied with the apology given and the action that Archant has undertaken to do, it is for her to say, not for others to use this topic as a side swipe at Forum Admin about the banning of a poster whether or not that decision was correct, fair or otherwise.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]If the second issue is between a blog writer and Forum Admin, why are so many other people chipping in expecting and commenting on the apology given?  Surely if PG is not satisfied with the apology given and the action that Archant has undertaken to do, it is for her to say, not for others to use this topic as a side swipe at Forum Admin about the banning of a poster whether or not that decision was correct, fair or otherwise.[/quote]

Cool Ron

Two topical forum members in one post.