Writing a Will

phenix

I need to know if anyone can recommend someone, other than a notaire, who will help us write a will.  Although we are domiciled in France, we have just acquired a property in England that we are going to do up and sell on so we have interests in the UK as well but have to draw up the will under French law.  We have two children so I want to avoid, if possible, the passing of property to the children if one of us dies before they are 18.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me.  Many thanks.

A will is not useless.

If a person has two children each has a right to a third of the estate.

The will can be used to determine which third and also to dispose of the other third freely.

Spouses have more rights than they did too, the law has changed recently.

There are up-to-date magazine-books sold through newsagents regularly which give advice on such matters; French wills are handwritten, must not be witnessed and do not require a notaire.

In principle French inheritance laws cover the entire worldwide estate of French residents. I have not heard of them being enforced when English people resident in France but with no French family die, although they could be in principle.

It is certainly advisable to cover English property with an English will.

There are various French web sites that will give you the formula to write a will. Just put in your web browser "modele de testament olographe". Some are very easy to follow and enable you to write a will yourself in your own handwriting to the correct formula. There must be no errors, mistakes or witnesses. You can then have it checked and registered at a Notary if you wish. It's perfectly legal even if you don't. All other wills must be destroyed. It's that simple. You cannot disinherit any children from your estate in France.

You can disinherit a child who has made an attempt on your life.

Pedantically