Cost of Eating Out

I guess this should really go under food and drink but it's more a question about costs in the various regions of France. I have just spent a week with a friend in Majorca, ate out every meal, and the most I paid was euro 7.95 for a superb 3-course with wine. The average for just a cooked meal (meat, with veg or salad) was around 5 euro, the service and quality excellent. Then I get ripped off in South of France at 20 euros for a tiny piece of steak with frozen chips, no veg or salad. What are the average menu prices in other parts of France? Surely wholesale costs can't differ so greatly between France and Spain, or are the French just greedy?

>I guess this should really go
>under food and drink but
>it's more a question about
>costs in the various regions
>of France. I have just
>spent a week with a
>friend in Majorca, ate out
>every meal, and the most
>I paid was euro 7.95
>for a superb 3-course with
>wine. The average for just
>a cooked meal (meat, with
>veg or salad) was around
>5 euro, the service and
>quality excellent. Then I
>get ripped off in South
>of France at 20 euros
>for a tiny piece of
>steak with frozen chips, no
>veg or salad. What are
>the average menu prices in
>other parts of France?
>Surely wholesale costs can't differ
>so greatly between France and
>Spain, or are the French
>just greedy?

The average set "workers" lunch in Northen France which often includes house red wine or cider on the table is nearly always around the 10 mark per person. Of course it varies in what is included and what the food choice available but by and large this is very good value for what is often a minimum of three courses. Drink anything else or stray from the set menu and you can easily double this amount.

regards

Paul

Punch & Coco have it explained well,but here in Brittany where the Crperie reigns, it can get very expensive especially for a family of four or more with the cheapest plain galettes now starting at 2 each and you usually need at least four if you are hungry as well as extra for drinks and deserts. We recently had crpes with an old friend who was visiting and a ham,cheese,onion and mushroom one cost 6 so I made do with that and a plain sugar one for dessert to keep the costs down as there were 7 of us dining that night.

www.dordogne-on-line.info

We have a little french bar at Le Chalard in the South Haute Vienne - at lunch time for 11 euro - the starter is a buffet and you have as much as you want and seconds if you like, then we had a huge steak with wonderful haricot vert then a huge dessert or cheese, including wine. It was excellant. You could have had just the main course and dessert or cheese with wine for 7 euro, which we think is very good value, we were full and could not eat again that day. To the other extreme we ate at Chateau de Mavaleix near La Coquille in the Dordogne at that cost 160 euro for 4 people, but it was a la carte and lovely surroundings. You get what you pay for we think.

I think a lot of things in the south are more expensive than elsewhere.

I've just had some young people staying (aged 20), and they found the south of France much more expensive than other holiday destinations they've been to.

Scooter hire (when we finally found one!) was 30 euros a day, or 34 euros for 24 hours. Can't remember where they were last year, but they paid 20 euros a day.

Pedalos on the beach here were 10 euros for 30 minutes (it was 10 euros an hour oop north!).

Lots of people here in Montpelliershire make the most of anyone heading over the border to Spain, because things are cheaper there. Whenever we go, the neighbours always ask us to bring back bottles of Pastis, because it's so much cheaper than it is here.

I won't even talk about eating out - the quality of restaurants here is indicated by the fact that Restaumarch is crowded out beyond belief every single Sunday of the year, and there's almost always a queue in McDo.

I do like it here, but it ain't cos it's cheap!

LAST EDITED ON 12-Jul-04 AT 07:00 PM (BST)

>I guess this should really go
>under food and drink but
>it's more a question about
>costs in the various regions
>of France. I have just
>spent a week with a
>friend in Majorca, ate out
>every meal, and the most
>I paid was euro 7.95
>for a superb 3-course with
>wine. The average for just
>a cooked meal (meat, with
>veg or salad) was around
>5 euro, the service and
>quality excellent. Then I
>get ripped off in South
>of France at 20 euros
>for a tiny piece of
>steak with frozen chips, no
>veg or salad. What are
>the average menu prices in
>other parts of France?
>Surely wholesale costs can't differ
>so greatly between France and
>Spain, or are the French
>just greedy?

I live in Northern Dordogne, and find the eateries disappointing. The choice is so limited, chevre salad, gesiers salad, duck, duck and more duck. Steak, which is usually like shoe leather, and rarely fish. Mostly served with chips, and no veg. Vegetarians, might just a well stay at home, as omellete and chips is about all they will be offered.

I still love it here though )