It seems that French holiday habits are changing:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1278653,00.html
People are taking short foreign holidays rather than spending a month in the country.
I see that I live among an underclass, most of the people I know fall into the 16% of the population who never take a holiday.
There are plenty of tourists about here in 24 including a lot of French ones; a local paper says that they are spending a lot less than usual however.
What's it like in your region?

In Montpellier 34, I think this pattern is taking hold.

I know a number of people who go abroad, at least once a year. The most popular destinations are French-speaking ones - Guadeloupe, Marie Galante, La Mayotte, etc, but Ireland seems to be remarkably popular.

This is partly why we're moving to a chicken-shed, so that we can have some disposable income and go on a REAL holiday!

I don't want to be a Sixteen-percenter, nor do I want to spend every holiday in France. I also know a number of Sixteen-percenters, and there ain't nuthing romantic or enviable about their lifestyles.

We were going through the bookings made via the tourist office here a few weeks ago at one of our frequent meetings and for July it was 64% this year already booked and paid as against 85% last year at the same time and August is only 80% as against over suscribed last year because of the heat wave. The weather here has been lousy this summer with maybe only two whole weeks so far of continual hot sunshine and I think people with campers have turned southwards after a week of unsettled weather. There is a definate lack of all tourists whether french or foreign this year and this should be a warning to anyone about to embark onthe idea of running holiday accomadation that it is a very fickle business. Higher costs of living both here and inthe UK may be the cause as well as high ferry costs and the finish of the Ryanair route to Brest and as regards locals going on holiday, not that many here because we are by the sea and people get better deals in the winter months to hot countries or ski-ing. I havn't had a holiday away for nine years now but I don't miss it because summer is busy with many local festivities.