Inheritance Laws for a Single Person with no children

Catswhiskas

You can look this up generally under Service-public.fr, successions et donations.

If your wish is to give your money to someone who is not related to you, then usually the pre tax allowance is usually very low, around 1500 euros and then a tax of 60% is levied on the rest.  I believe that certain french charities do not have these heavy taxes inflicted upon them.

You should get legal advice about this.

Just realised that you haven't mentioned other family members, siblings or parents, then they would have a right to part of your estate.

I was slightly friendly with a lady whom I met through another couple and who lived a good 2.5hours away from us, who eventually began to lose her marbles living alone in France through loneliness, but she did tell me before going back to the UK that because she was alone, never married,had no children or siblings or any living relatives whatsoever that when she dies,her french property would automatically become state property and disposed of by the French government. This was info that her notaire had given her when she wanted to write a will.I think this was one of the things which tipped her over the edge against living in France any longer as she had already fallen out with the neighbours.

The house next to the last one we bought will go to the state when the owner dies as he has no relatives.

If a person does have family though, not counting children, it will go to the parents if still living, if not, the brothers or sisters or if dead, their children.  The Aunt of Gilles property will go to her brother - Gilles father......  She is 95!

The Notaire will help out with percentages etc as I haven't a clue.  It is very complicated here. 

If catswhiskas is sans famille, then I do believe that they will be able to leave their money to someone/something. One can make a will here after all. Apart from certain charities though, anyone/anything else would hit the very heavy death duties. However, it would still be something. The government doesn't take it all if one has sorted one's affair's out.............. ?

Legal advice is needed.

Thanks all. Yes I forgot to mention, I have 3 half brothers and sisters and this is where I would want the money to go. My neighbour seemed to be saying that the French Gov. took a huge percentage first. I know there is inheritance tax in UK which causes problems but only over 250K. THere always seems to be info re. people who are married and have children and the problems this can cause but not for single child-free people!

I guess a trip to the notaire is in order! Sounds expensive!

Yes your family can inherit and probably have a right to part of your estate anyway. A notaire won't be cheap but I can't see it costing an arm and a leg either.

To give you an idea if you look at the service public site or maybe notaires de france, they should give some indications of how much pre tax your family will be allowed and how much tax will be levied.

Absolutely, in the absence of children & parents you are free to leave your property to whoever you so wish but the taxes are very hefty... as one woman who inherited her family home via her brother put it, it wasn't so much a gift as an option to buy, albeit  at less than the market price... and siblings pay less tax than those with no blood relation.

It can be a poisoned chalice.  When we inherit we would normally have to take out a loan to pay the inheritance tax before we touch the inheritance.  This will be property so would have to be sold to pay off the original loan for taxes......

You can refuse an inheritance!

Fortunately, the payment of the taxes has all been seen to and the lolly is in the bank to pay it......  Bless him.  I hope he lives for years yet.

[quote]Hi As others have said it is well worth taking legal advice. But for a bit of background the Notaires de France website may prove useful. There is a section on inheritance, in English, at: http:/...[/quote]

What an excellent, informative site, now if it only included a bit about the likely taxes on an estate.......

paul