Buying mail order from abroad - import duty?

Franglais24

[quote]Hi, I've just placed an order for some books (new and second hand) to be sent over from the US. Can anyone tell me whether I might need to pay some form of import duty when they arrive? Would the si...[/quote]

There are no import duties between EU countries. With regards importing from America there is a liability to import duty but this may waived if the total cost of the goods is low. 

Baz

[quote]If you order books for delivery to France from a major EU supplier such as Amazon.co.uk, they will add VAT (5.5%), which they would not charge for deliveries to the UK..[/quote]

In order not to confuse the original poster's question it may be helpful to point out that VAT should not be confused with Import Duties. The reason VAT is charged on UK books sent to France is that they are Zero rated in the UK and are VAT rated in France. Imports from USA could be liable to both Import Duty and VAT.

Baz

It's very much pot luck.Also you could ask the sender to put a low value on the customs from in the U.S. for you. Under 22 euros is best. Plus make sure that you are not paying local (U.S. state sales tax).

p.s. the smaller the package the more chance that it will pass through without being stopped and duty and iva added.DHL ect also always get tagged so regular post is much better.

[quote]It's very much pot luck.Also you could ask the sender to put a low value on the customs from in the U.S. for you. Under 22 euros is best. Plus make sure that you are not paying local (U.S. state sales...[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend undervaluing items for customs. Customs Officers the world over know what things are worth and if they reckon that an item is undervalued, they will a) Confiscate it and/or b) charge the appropriate amount of duty and VAT and c) a hefty penalty. They actually charge the carrier, who will come after you for the money.....

That said, it is usually cheaper to buy books and CD's etc from the US, with the customs & VAT charges than it is to buy them in the UK or France. What does that tell us?

Hi

the answer to this is : it all depends !

Order from Amazon UK and you will pay 0% VAT.

From US, it is a bit more tricky.

Amazon are pretty clever. If you first land the books within EU in Holland or UK (and maybe other states) the future retransportation does not attract VAT.

So if you ordered the books for rapid transport direct to France there will be VAT. If you ordered slowest (surface mail) direct to France VAT will be paid. If you opt for the medium speed transport it will probably escape VAT as Amazon will route it through a non VAT EU entry point.

And if it is a small charge you may escape anyway.

Not too important with Vat on books at 5.5% (I think)in France. It was more important ordering for delivery to Sweden with VAT (MOMS) on books at 25%.

Peter