not being lazy - honest!

Jks

Please don't think we're being lazy! We've done extensive research and are planning to move permanently to our home in the Vendee in July next year. As you can imagine we have a long (and ever changing) list of things to do for both before and after we arrive. We already have the usual things in place such as utilities, insurance, schooling, language lessons, bank account, pet passport, school jabs, pension, contact with DSS in Washington etc.. However just wondering if anyone has any tips on what we, or others, may have overlooked. Are there things that weren't on your list? Hindsight's a great thing - did you miss something, however thoroughly you prepared? Obviously I understand that every case is individual but any tips or advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

I don't think you're being lazy, but as you seem to be preparing well for the move you could be worrying unneccessarily.

At this stage, if you do forget something, it will probably be irritating, but insignificant.

One thing I did was leave the person who bought our house a supply of envelopes and stamps, in case the mail redirection failed. It failed many times. I brought a supply of English stamps with me, which  proved very useful, in the early days. They are all gone now anyway.

Before packing, I also changed the plugs on as many electrical items as I could. I'd bought the plugs on a previous trip.

See, trivial stuff really.  

We have moved, not only countries, but continents four times. As Tresco says, leave the plugs for your friends and neighbours. As soon as we arrive in the new country, OH shows me how to wire a plug, then says 'off you go - I've got a million other things to do'

Tresco, the main dept is or used to be at Longbenton, which is part of Newcastle, and was very hard to find when I decided to call in and discuss pensions one day. There is another office for some of the stuff we would broach on here at Gateshead.  But I have never heard Washington mentioned before, which another town, ( and very odd it is too) to the south of Gateshead.

I'm just curious as to what is there. I like to know where all these different offices are, one never knows when one has to contact them.

Old age (state pensions), certainly. child Benefits used to be there. Really it's been so long that I had to apply for any benefit that I can't say for sure, but we found this site very useful, www.pensionguide.gov.uk and here's the address for the Retirement Pension Forecasting Team:

The Pension Service, Whitley Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE98 1BA - is that anywhere near Washington?

Tresco, that is the Longbenton address, so it isn't that close to Washington. I always send our pension payments to the Longbenton address.

And thanks SB, if we lived there it looks like Washington is the place to contact perhaps? I like to know these things.