titre de sejour

woodin

The way residency works in France is that if you live here for three months you automatically become, in effect, a resident. There used to be a requirement for everybody to apply for titre de sejour when that three months was up, but that has now been waived for EU citizens.

Don't confuse this with tax residency, which is a different set of rules altogether.

I think you will find that your wife and you will need to apply separately - the titre de sejour is really nothing other than a form of identity card so it applies to individuals rather than households. I know Mrs Conq and I had (still have in fact) separate cards.

• 2 weeks later...
? No panic here. And is was never done away with, just no longer obligitory, although if you look on the service-public web site it does say that there are cases where it is necessary, or some such thing.. And true people looking for work or opening businesses can be asked to have them. As they can get them anyway, what was/is the problem.

Don't believe all you read on web sites (even this one )

There are a lot of half truths out there, as TU says. I have a titre de sejour, and personally think that having it makes living and working in France much easier. But many will disagree.

We are still asked to produce our Carte de Séjours regularly for different things including that mass contrôle by the town gendarmes on vehicles in our village two weeks ago. My daughter was not allowed to start driving lessons without her CDS either two years ago and it is still required for when the boy starts later this year here. Again France is notorious for different rules in differing depts but I love my carte and will definately insist on a renewal in about 7 years time again.

[quote]NEWS FLASH!!!! Have seen on another expat internet site that the Carte de sejour has been re-instated - panic stations!!![/quote]

You need to be very careful about this. The CDS is still in existence, it's never been abolished, did away with, or whatever and is still a legal requirement for many nationals living or working in France. The only people who do not require it (but may still get one voluntarily if they wish) are those people who are EU member states residence prior to November 2003. This means that if you are from a new EU member state like the Eastern Block countries you are still required to have a CDS. If of course you come from outside the EU, for example USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, India etc and do not hold a EU passport you are also required by law to have a CDS.

So the CDS has never went away in the first place.

If you still have any doubts you can follow the links given by others to the French government website and see for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...