Buying books from America

Diana

If we buy books from America is it better to have them shipped to the UK or to France? if sent to the UK there is no VAT but I imagine import duty, does anyone know what rate this is. If France there is VAT but what about import duty?

Thanks

Diana

I have bought a number of books from USA via Abebooks on line. I've never had any issues with duty. They just arrive in the standard post, sent directly to France.

You can in any event buy products in the US up to a value of something like £147 (can't remember exactly)without incurring duty. So unless you are doing a "Coleen Rooney", I don't suppose you will have any problems.

Some of my books have been quite valuable first editions, but they are well packed and the postman pops them in the box.

Em

[quote]I have bought a number of books from USA via Abebooks on line. I've never had any issues with duty. They just arrive in the standard post, sent directly to France. You can in any event buy products i...[/quote]

The 150 quid rule is if you bring them in yourself. I think it is €25-30 for postal items. I have had much larger value items slip through via la Poste but the indie shippers i.e. DHL. UPS, FEDEX act has tax collectors for customs so nothing slip past them. They are liable for the tax if it does, i think.

Since the exchange rate became so favourable I have made a number of purchases from the 'States - I generally trawl the Net for 'bargains' and there are mant to be found in the US at the moment.

I also get charged duty. And the blighters always open my packages and poorly re-pack, quite infuriating. My most recent purchase is a pair of good Jeans for $12.50 with a shipping charge of $24. Even with the inevitanbe duty charge, they will still be much cheaper than buying the same thing here!

Pip, Have your parcels sent to another address for a few weeks, apparently once you have a package with duty added through, it somehow triggers others (don't ask me how, just the experience of several people I know)

Like you I have been looking for bargains on USA web sites, JC Penney, Lands End etc, first package arrived today, new dressing gown (very light and warm) plus jumper, shipping included £35 ! (didn't get caught for duty though, even if I had they would still have been good buys

Re books, Most abe books are second hand, the mention of 'used' or 'second hand' sometimes helps.

Just taken the following from the Parcelforce Website regarding goods ordered from non EU countries:

"Goods with a value exceeding £18 (for commercial items including internet/mail order purchases), or £36 in the case of gifts between private individuals, are generally subject to Customs charges.  Normally charges are calculated upon the declared value (plus postage for commercial items).  Further general information can be obtained by contacting HMCE on 0845 010 9000 or at www.hmce.gov.uk."

Seems the secret is not to order too many in one go and you won't be charged by the customs. Especially as they don't just charge you the duty, but you also have to pay a fixed fee on top to cover the time and trouble they have to go to to open your parcel and check it's contents - a real rip-off!

Cheers

Sasha