EUROTUNNEL CLIMBDOWN?

bixy

I received a letter from Eurotunnel today telling me about the new Frequent Traveller's Tickets. To see the terms and conditions go to the Eurotunnel website. I have been through this quite carefully and it seems to me that this may be an even better deal than the Property Owners Club, depending when you want to travel. Unfortunately for Eurotunnel I have now booked my tickets for the forthcoming year and they have lost a good bit of my custom. No doubt they have lost a lot of other regular travellers' custom too. As we said at the time, it was sheer stupidity to thumb their noses at their most frequent travellers, those in the POC and I suspect that the sudden appearance of this Frequent Travellers deal is a panic reaction to losing aforesaid custom. I do not believe Eurotunnel when they say they "have been working hard to bring you a better range of fares". Any sensible management would have had a replacement scheme in place before abolishing the old one. If this is the quality of the new Eurotunnel management then, given their present horrendous financial problems, how long will it be before the tunnel closes completely?

Patrick

On the contrary, I think these fares should be available to everybody and not just frequent travellers. We need to make up our minds whether we are part of Europe or not [both physically and politically]. The high cost of crossing the channel is a barrier to our coming closer to our European neighbours and v.v. A French friend believes that the tunnel should have been EU funded since it is used for the better movement of people and trade between EU countries. The actual cost of moving a car through the tunnel is about £12. All the rest is paying off Eurotunnel's debt interest.

Patrick

We need to make up our minds whether we are part of Europe or not [both physically and politically]. The high cost of crossing the channel is a barrier to our coming closer to our European neighbours and v.v.

How I agree. All too often I fear that UK politicians perceive the Atlantic Ocean to be narrower than the English Channel.

A French friend believes that the tunnel should have been EU funded since it is used for the better movement of people and trade between EU countries. The actual cost of moving a car through the tunnel is about £12. All the rest is paying off Eurotunnel's debt interest.

The financial formula which determined the construction of the tunnel was forced through by the Mad Woman of Grantham who was determined it would be a beacon for private enterprise. It should have been identified as an essential infrastucture project which would have reinforced Britain's membership of the EU. Instead, a mountain of debt was created which has rendered the project financially unworkable.

The recent shareholder (French) revolt has meant that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Almost inevitably the current management team will fail and the banks will be forced to sell off their asset to the highest bidder. Eventually, someone will get a bargain and the banks a beating!

If Eurotunnel goes broke, the tunnel will still be there. It will still be used. But let us hope that a little sanity will prevail.

<<<Some years I have travelled 5 or 6 times but no hope of a discount for me as I am not a home owner.>>>

Have you thought of the P&O Season Tickets? Last year I was travelling for £126 return, with priority loading included.

This year, it has again become cheaper to use my shares, with fares starting at £80 return.

Alcazar