Annual topic

At last we are having our 'day in France' and will be heading for Carrefour either in Avranche or Caen

I used to bring back loads of different things because they were cheaper - but is it really worthwhile now ?

Olive oil and dishwasher tabs were always on our list......is it still worth it ?

Not too worried, the space we don't use for grocery we can fill with wine

Anything that is just particularly nice that isn't available in the UK

Hi Gay

My mother always stocks up with dishwasher tabs and olive oil too (and one so careful with money can't be wrong! )!  She also goes for duck breast (but I'm in SW France - foie gras central), duck fat (as an antidote to the red wine ) and Toulouse sausage!

Nic

[quote]At last we are having our 'day in France' and will be heading for Carrefour either in Avranche or CaenI used to bring back loads of different things because they were cheaper - but is it really worthw...[/quote]

Disposable nappies

Well going by the English family in Carrefour yesterday, are they in short supply back in the UK ? They had 2 chariots piled high.

Oooh, where do I start (and when should I stop)?

Red wine vinegar

cider vinegar

Lidl's pickled onions in balsamic vinegar (yummy)

Those huge tins of (crespo???) olives (mix with that red wine vinegar for oh-so-cheap Kalamata style olives, or with olive oil, crushed garlic, rosemary and tiny dried peppers)

Creme de cassis, framboise, mure, pêche

Smoked Salmon/Trout (freezes very well)

Cremant D'Alsace (every bit as nice as champagne, and a third of the price)

Rhubarb Jam

Dijon Mustard

and, of course, cheese, cheese, cheese

Unless you like drink litres of very cheap French wine ( some at 0.50c a litre) i can now see little real savings with the cost of getting here.The cost of everything seems to be creaping up and up. Saying that i've just come back from Spain on my monthly cig run. Saved €75 on 3 cartons of cig's, €20 on Wine and €5 on Heinze baked beans.. Alllowing for petrol ( €15) and tolls ( €8), the trip more than paid for a very good lunch.