Mowers and consumer law

cheryl

Can anyone help with a (fairly) quick answer before I go for the MEGA row tomorrow morning!

Last year we bought a sit-on mower from Bricomarché with a two year guarantee. It has been lovingly looked after by my husband (5 oil changes) but last week the engine seized up for no apparant reason.

We took in back to the shop and yesterday I telephoned to be told that we could collect the repaired mower on Saturday. Just now, Bricomarché phoned to say that although the mower was repaired it would not be covered by guarantee as the wrong oil had been used.

I explained that we had used SAE30 as recommended in the instruction manual, but was told that we would have to pay to get our mower back. We hadn't authorised any repairs other than under guarantee and feel that the guarantee should in any case be honoured since we had followed all instructions exactly.

Are we within our rights to demand the return of our mower without payment?

Many thanks

Cheryl

We had a simialr problem with the purchase of a debrousailleuse (sp?) from Bricomarche in Coutances (50). It stopped working after only having been used a couple of times. I took it back to the shop and they said they would send it to their nominated repairer - after a couple of weeks I was told that the repairer had said that we hadn't put a mix in the tank - just petrol. I argued that at the same time we bought the machine, we had also asked for advice and also bought the fuel can and the small bottles of oil to make the mix - why would we have done that if we hadn't intended to use it, and that we were not stupid!! The guy agreed then to repair the machine and about 10 days later I had a message saying it was ready. When we arrived we were told that we would have to pay for the repair as we couldn't prove that we had put mix in..............I argued again and eventually, for the sake of 30€, agreed to 'go halves'! So, unfortunately, I don't hold out too much hope for you, although we did wonder afterwards what would have happened if we had refused to pay for a repair that we hadn't agreed to pay for!!

Good luck

Chris

Do you have the oil container that you used?

If the answer is yes then take this and the manual to the shop and show them. Tell them that it is now up to them to prove you had used the wrong oil.

If by chance the engine is a Briggs and Stratton then you can get copies of the particular engines user manual directly from their website, I have done this in the past.

I have found that these places tend to take things personally as if the money is coming out of their own pocket even though the warranty on the engine is with the manufacturer and they will be reimbursed for parts and labour used.

If you don't have the can of oil go buy one and tip 2/3 away and take what’s left with you. Not exactly ethical but sometimes you have to play them at their own game.

Dave,

I'm afraid it's much simpler than small print or anything else, it is after sales (SAV) French style. If it was serviced after every cut by the Ferrari team, have no fear the SAV teams will find a get out clause, small print or no small print, you can be sure of that, better get used to it

OK if what Dave&Olive and Miki says is true then you should go to the engine manufacturer direct and if it's a good one like Briggs and Stratton or Honda they can be quite approachable. I did it with Briggs and Stratton when living in the UK and the whole attitude of the shop I bought from changed over night. The engine manufactures are far bigger and have a lot more 'punch' and don't like their engines being thought of as bad.

I'd agree with the "French after sales" comment.

Two years ago we bought a mountainbike from Carrefour, which was supposedly set up before I picked it up by a very nice young man, who I spent a while talking bikes with.

The next day my youngest complained that the front gears wern't working properly. I know a bit about bike repair myself, so I had a look and it was obvious that the front gear shifters were no good.

I put it back in the car boot and took it back, only to be told that they wouldn't touch it because I couldn't produce my guarantee.......wifey had every other one, but couldn't find that one

So even though both the acceuil lady and the young man remembered me from the DAY BEFORE, they wriggled out of it.

Can you imagine that in a UK shop?

I bought a new part for it in the UK and fitted it when I next went over.

Alcazar

Many thanks for all the input, although I have to say that none of it gave me a lot of confidence before we set off this morning!

It was the Bricomarché in St Lo (50), and they again claimed that the oil was of the wrong quality, so we just stood there and repeated, over and over again, that we had followed all the manufacturers instructions and what else could we have been expected to do?

Eventually, after about 40 minutes of 'discussion' (but we didn't raise our voices!) with two employees, they suddenly (rather ungraciously) gave in. I then asked for, and got, the till receipt back, as there's still almost a year left on the guarantee.

When we got home we found that the oil level was way below minimum and they had also broken one of the safety devices, so that as the clutch is released the engine stops. Easy enough fixed, but it just shows that they aren't even very good at their job!

Having spent in excess of €11,000 in their shop since the beginning of last year, we shall be taking our custom elsewhere. I do wonder if they thought that, as foreigners, we must be stupid, and whether they would have tried it on with a French person.

Cheryl 

Carrefour haven't issued separate guarantee papers/documentation for several years now. The till receipt is the guarantee. So it is imperative to look after that. Also you had about a week to take it back and get your money back. Of all the places I have had problems with, Carrefour has always been correct and fair. I'm sorry to hear something bad about Carrefour.

I'm afraid this seems to be par for the course with the grandes surfaces type stores in France. Having experienced it a couple of times, I do always now try and go to the local, family-owned type of businesses, or the good-quality places, for major purchases here. Other English will tell me I was ripped off, I could have got it for 20€ less at the hypermarché, but I think that when service is needed I'll have the last laugh.

You often see questions about 'where is the cheapest...?' on these forums. Buying cheap, whether goods or services, isn't usually the most economical option in the longer term here in France.

Well apart from the few minor snags at least the engine is OK so well done. It's a very difficult thing to complain and stick to your guns especially in a different country where the culture and laws can be very different to what you are used to. You 'case' shows that if you have right on your side it's possible to get a satisfactory result. Bet you had a stiff drink when you got home?

Again, well done.

Glad it sort of "got done" but Chris, it was not that satisfactory result, was it ? Look how they found it when they got home, if they hadn't checked the oil before using it and the engine had gone "boom", it would have down to them !!

I have to agree that Carrefour are more reasonable than most but even with them, we have had a couple of occasions where their "promise" on refunds and returns under guarantee had to be "pushed" in their face a little !

Like Will, most, if not all our of recent white goods or TV's etc these days, have come from local stockists, like Gitem, who are hardly any more expensive than the local grand surfaces and indeed often have promos.

In my experience and in general, from what I can tell, SAV in France is some what behind the UK.