No bonfires in 24

Down here in 34 too, we're thinking of embarking on a series of rain dances.  Anyone know any good ones?     What we need is a week of steady rain, not those great bucketloads that normally fall when the ground's too dry to absorb it, and end up flooding the area.   

SB, ask the mullah at your local mosquee to get his worshippers praying for rain.  Divine intervention is regularly called upon in the desert so I'm sure he'll help out where you are!

Seriously though, I was reading at the weekend about the anticipated and much feared drought in France.  It said it could have catastrophic effects on farming, as we can all believe. 

M

After a fairly long period free of joint pain I woke up during the night aching all over - then suddenly we heard the wonderful sound of rain - nice regular rain hitting the window. It is still raining, nice steady rain and we have our fingers crossed that it will last a day or so.

How did this happen - nothing to do with the meteroligical outlook, a new washing line was concreted in for me yesterday, the farmer delivered a pile of muck and the boys put up my new plastic green tunnel - so as I need fine weather to appreciate all three - it rains

I hope it comes your way if you need it. It must be bad in our bit of Northern Lot (we are the wet bit not the dry limestone bit) as our little winter stream caused by the overflow of the well has not flowed this winter - last winter we had more springs and streams in our field than grass and we had to dig drainage ditches. I suppose it is swings and roundabouts but we had a dry summer last year as well and water levels are very very down and the ground is horrible and dry.

As soon as the rain stops I will be out there mulching as much as possible to keep the water in the soil and stop it drying out. Our farmer says it will be a year for watering 'from the tap'. Not for us, if the well dries up we will not water.

I only wish my neighbour had known that!

Over the weekend he decided it might be a good time to light a bonfire, and in his wisdom (???) decided that the very best place would be right on the boundary between his land and ours.  Need I say more?  Yes?  Well...

Dry grass, woodland, felled trees and neatly stacked logs, nice bit of a breeze (blowing our way - of course) ... FIRE!   Luckily another neighbour saw the smoke and called out the pompiers, the police even made an appearance. 

Happily no real damage was done, just a large blackened area and half a hedge gone to meet its maker.  And a piece in the local paper.  And quite a lot of ribbing from the pompiers the next day in the local bar about the bill we can expect to recieve for their services!

It's raining here today, hurrah

Worry not, all you who need rain.........we are coming over this Thursday for a week and a half, so I can practically guarantee lots of rain, bruines, fogs, possibly hail etc for that week and a bit...........at least I can for Limousin and Dordogne since we are on the border, just in 87.

Sigh

Alcazar

[quote]Its pouring here in North Finistère with gales again.[/quote]

Ha! that's so the channel can have chance to get REALLY choppy, so that when we board the "Pride of Vomit" at Dover, the wife will be ill, and guess who has to do ALL the driving again, AND it'll pour with rain, you just watch......

Alcazar