If you are looking for a laugh!

On the way through Gatwick to Nice the other day, I bought a book called " A year in the merde", which was being promoted at WH Smith.

Apparently, this very funny book about the comedy of errors diary of an expat Brit in Paris, was originally written for friends, became a cult hit and was then published worldwide.

If you want a good laugh, as an antidote to the over seriousness of us Brits on this Forum sometimes, I can strongly recommend it!

(Before some cynic asks, I have no connection to the author, publisher, bookseller, printer, paper manufacturer.....!!!)

Yes, I agree totally.  A very funny book, and picks up all those irritating little French habits in a totally un-nasty way.  I saw this here the other day in French - forgotten the title in French but the cover is the same.  Wonder how French people will find it?  Bewildering, I expect!

Chrissie (81) 

I saw this here the other day in French - forgotten the title in French but the cover is the same.

I saw it the other day too. I think it was called "god save la france" It's come out in France much faster than "a year in provence" which took years.

[quote]Read it recently, didn't like it that much, the guy came over as not actually LIKING the French OK, he's obviously been and seen but he was a bit snidey for my taste. Alcazar[/quote]

I read it and though I am French, he has described the French urban yuppy life as it is with a good measure of tongue in cheek.

I recognised many situations from my past...

I've given the book to friends living and working in Paris who innocently, sheepishly have admitted at recognising themselves...

I thought it was a jolly good laugh!!

I was lent this book by our German neighbour and being the totally naive and innocent person that I am, took one look at the cover and wondered where in France the region of "The Merde" was.  What a fool I felt when I finally got around to reading the book.  However, it was a great book  and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  And now at least I can swear in French when I hammer my thumb while knocking in fence posts to contain our amorous cockerel(male chicken).