Tour de France

It's passing through a village near us this year, so we plan to pop over there and watch the stage. Whats the best freebies that the promo vans hand out? so i can keep my eye's open for it. Another win for Lance ? No wonder the French are not that fond of the U.S.A.

A baseball cap is probably as good as it gets!  Lots of horrible cheap sweets.  The race itself goes by in literally the blink of an eye, but you'll get plenty of warning by the low-flyin TV helicopters!

Based on the experience and warnings of my French neighbours, it is worth leaving a very ferocious dog on your property when you go to watch the race. Because it is alleged that people who have the intention of relieving you of your hard won goods and chattels may prefer to visit your home instead of joining the crowds by the roadsides while you are absent. Just a thought.

[quote]A baseball cap is probably as good as it gets! Lots of horrible cheap sweets. The race itself goes by in literally the blink of an eye, but you'll get plenty of warning by the low-flyin TV helicopte...[/quote]

Yes, I'm usually a great fan of tasteless and tacky, but the Tour de France freebies hardly even merit that description!   I'd heard so much about how exciting the caravane (?) is, so was very disappointed to see all these very ordinary cars and vans speeding past with tinny music blaring out, and people with desperation in their eyes, trying to get hold of the silly bits of plastic being thrown about.   It was like a study in how low can humanity go!    In fact, I got bored, because it goes on for so long, and I just sat and read a book - I know, what a Philistine I am!   

It's just a good excuse for a day out, take a picnic and install yourself somewhere early with friends.  Wave wildly at the low-flying helicopters.  Cheer the riders as they whizz past (doesn't take long!).  Finish your picnic, then go home to watch yourself on the video'd TV coverage!

TV coverage can be pretty good, views of perched villages, chateaux, vineyards, cities, it's quite nice to watch.

TV coverage can be pretty good, views of perched villages, chateaux, vineyards, cities, it's quite nice to watch.

Yes, I love to watch it, especially when we could only afford to go to France once a year in summer, and I was suffering withdrawal symptoms.

The bit I hate though, is the vomit inducing filming from the back of a motorcycle..............and WHY does it ALWAYS break down? You'd honestly ythink that with today's technology, they could get it right?

Alcazar

If you haven't been before it is worth going once to see the French being, well, French. Get there very early, take your picnic table and chairs and large quantities of food (not just a measly British picnic). I loved the caravan but the throw outs are not much, just for kids. We did get a yellow cycling cap and a pack of cards. As for the cycling, unless you are on one of those very steep climps, and I imagine you have to get there about 3 days beforehand to get a place, you won't see a thing, just a woosh as they go past.

Liz (29)