PACS

adodson

Hi, has anyone on this forum recently tried to sign a PACS agreement.  we found that there was an initial problem regarding the "Certificat de coutume et les pieces d'etat civil" as England does not recognise two people living together as they do in France, the British Consulate send me a letter to be given to the Magistrate to overcome this problem.

However I have been told that this is insufficient and we cannot sign a PACS agreement, this is a very serious matter especially for inheritance purposes here in France.

Has anyone else had any experience of this

Which british consulate did you use?

I would phone  the Paris Consulate and explain exactly what the problem is with the letter that you have received already. We have  had to request a special letter/document from the Consulate twice now, which they were quite expensive, but did the trick. Previously we had just been sent statements by the Consulate for free, but the Tribunal would not accept these.

Frankly the french administration is often 'difficult'. They expect us all to have exactly the same paperwork as they do.

This is not the case, as my brother in law is pacsed with his partner. She is Norwegian and they signed it at the French embassy in Oslo. The whole point of them doing the pacs was that they did not want to live in France. The reason why they wanted to do the Pacs was my brother in law had been a teacher in France but had since got his doctorate and had been offered a university position in Norway, but only a two year contract. By requesting a "rapprochement du conjoint" (hence the pacs) he does not lose the right to return to his position in the civil service should he need to do so. He went throught this with the French embassy. However perhaps you have to be French for this to work.

I agree with you, it would set all sorts of difficult precedents, I expect and perhaps lead to other countries being forced by Europe to recognise it.

I have never even heard of two British people living in France signing the pacs,... is there anyone out there who has?

I have never even heard of two British people living in France signing the pacs,... is there anyone out there who has?

No - but I'm so pleased you have raised the subject, it's one I've been thinking about for some time as I'm curious too.  What are the requirements in order to Pacser?  Actually, I personally believe it's an excellent way of "formalising" a relationship and think it would be a good thing if more countries followed the French initiative.  M

It is so easy isn't it for hetrosexuals. Marriage covers most legal matters that get important in France with regards to the 'couple', and as I have said so often on here, there is absolutely no way I would be in a long term live together relationship in France and not be married.

And the PACS came out for homosexual couples really, to offer those who wished some legal formalisation to their relationships and I'm pleased that the government brought it in. That hetrosexual couples take this option, I just don't understand. There isn't the 'cover' that is included in a marriage.

I think that the Pacs is seen by some heterosexual couples as being the soft option. When you think of the expense and enormity of French weddings, it is quite daunting. If you are just after the tax breaks, then the pacs is the solution. Plus, now, you can get them from the first year as married couples do. There isn't the cover, but there aren't the responsibilities either.

lol I know about big weddings.  Never had much time for them myself. That is up to the couple as to what sort of 'do' they want. No one has to have a big 'do' or spend a lot of money, well we didn't. 

And if not married here, well in the event of death, what a mess that would be and how costly it would be too. I am never happy with the whole 'death' situation in France, but not being married I would feel  and in reality be, very vunerable and would end up  being in a precarious situation  due to the death taxes and lack of 'rights' for a concubine.

• 1 month later...