France in August.

So you cannot get anything done in France in August.

Telling your plans to the Devil

Thursday – Daughter of French friends arrives to look at house. Only downside her 8 year old son does better at Microsoft Flight Simulator than I am despite (me not him) having flown and navigated light aircraft.

Friday  - She comes back for a second look and asks how much. I tell her the price. She agrees. She types her details into the PC coping very well with QWERTY.  I say I will speak to Notaire on Monday as she is returning to Paris on Saturday.

Saturday  - I walk down to Notaires Office to discover it is open at 11 am.  5 minute conversation. Give him purchaser’s details, photocopy of our dossier from buying house; he says he will ring his contact for lead and asbestos survey.

Sunday – Nothing but a good meal out

Monday – Notaire rang our purchaser and my bank rang me about money being transferred to France for our new home.

Tuesday – Gentleman for lead and asbestos survey turns up to see how long it would take. Gave him floor plan, he worked very carefully through but was in and out in 45 minutes. Discover equipment for lead and asbestos surveys is Euros 24,000 and that he thinks it is mad that they did not check pipes for lead. Immobeliers for new house rang to check that we had agreed with vendors that 17th August was OK for the Acte and that we had said it was OK if they stayed in house till1st September. Actually we had targeted 1st September for the Acte.

Not sure I can take the excitement.

We had a good experience of France in August as well: Waited since April for maçons to arrive to start on our extentions, had several dates during May, June and July. They arrived in the last week of July and left the building site on the 5th of August for their annual holiday having completed the ground work and the wall up to the windows. Who says nobody works in August? 

Did'nt realise you had to have a lead and asbestos survey. We only had Termites etc, with guarantees...

We are very happy with the quality of water from our lead pipes! as it is only used for washing.

We would have them replaced but as they are under 3 Ft of concrete in our cave the cost would be astronomical.

Still good night for watching the asteroid storm...

Terry