Check-list for moving to France?

Paolo

Does anyone know of a check-list of things to do before you move to France from the UK? I haven't found one on these forums, but I'm sure there must have been one posted or linked to in the past. We have a list but I am confident there are things we haven't thought of.

Thanks,

Paolo

E forms

Record of children's vaccinations

full copies of birth certificates, our experience is that they won't accept the short versions

copies of all your certificates including marriage and divorce if applicable, we have been asked for all sorts of things over the years

redirect post to France

cancel anything that needs cancelling..... newspapers, milk, internet server? and utilities and local taxes and water if it is completely permanent move.

We kept our bank account

Ofcourse you don't have customs declarations etc to do now to move your stuff over, so I would say that it is relatively simple

Hi Paulo.

I left about 5 quids worth of stamps and envelopes with the people who bought our house, as we knew from previous experience that things slip through mail redirection.

I also went to the doctor and wrote down the explanations for a couple of operation scars (36 syllables of latin each) which I was always asked about by any new doctor in UK, and was always unable to answer to their satisfaction before my notes arrived.

I had some of those 'moving to france' books, i'm fairly sure one of them had a list, but I also just looked through some in a bookshop to see if there was anything I might have missed.

Hi,

The French Consulate advised us that it would be very prudent to get our birth certificates and marriage certificates translated into French by an authorized translator.  As many of the first things that we will need to do will require these documents, we thought it was worth the effort to get done before travelling.

Regards,

Lynda

[quote]Hi, The French Consulate advised us that it would be very prudent to get our birth certificates and marriage certificates translated into French by an authorized translator. As many of the first thi...[/quote]

And did you ever need them ?

Peter

And did you ever need them ?

I never got the translations done. Basically I thought I would deal with it if I came to it, and believe me, I am the 'worrier' in our team, the one who says 'we are supposed to be doing this or that.....'

No one has ever asked me for any certified translation of birth marriage or divorce documents. The were quite happy for me to show and translate the bits they were mildly interested in.

We had to give official copies of  everything, ......... my things have changed.

Don't get me wrong TU, I still expect to meet stern resistance one day!.

We had a funny situation in the insurance place. A very officious woman, looking at our passports (mine still had my former name). Well, we went through a few questions about this, (like, 'are you really married') all in French, as it always is, and she was really stewing. After I pulled out the marriage certificate she studied it closely, then eventually turned to me and said something like, 'Is it normal, this, not having the same name as your husband in England?'

I  had no time to formulate an answer before she cried 'What about the poor little children?' It was a rhetorical question, she just proceeded to stamp each page of the 350 page form, with three different and very elaborate stamps, sighing mightily.