Google Earth

Clarkkent

If you have a reasonably new computer and broadband, then go to http://earth.google.com, follow the download instructions and prepare to be amazed.

This is not a search engine but a seamless satellite photograph of the whole of Planet Earth with – in some cases – the opportunity to zoom in and recognise your own house in high resolution. Some lucky people will be able to show their relatives, friends, customers exactly where their French house is.

It has – apparently – dozens of customisable options including point-to-point driving instructions, the location of retail outlets.

This is what the internet should be about!

Had it a little while now Clark but unfortunately we can only see ourselves from a "fair way up" but friends near Le Mont St Michel can almost go in their back door !!

Some chap staying here was telling us that it is not updated very often, so although there might be a better resolution for us, we may have to wait. It does seem to be better for some areas than others.

Yes we have just discovered Google Earth too.  It seems that the satellite has taken much higher resolution "slices" of some parts of the UK and France.  It is clear why they did the one which runs through Mont St. Michel but can anyone explain the one running near Vire and going through some of the Normandy Landing beaches - is it the Suisse Normande that is of interest to Google or something else - any ideas?

It is good for searching by postcode within the UK but this doesn't work for France - indeed the France search facility isn't very good - it doesn't even list "Cherbourg" in its index - so not very easy for finding where you are unless you have a very good grasp of the geography.  It seems odd that it listed Vire!  As far as I know Vire's main claim to fame is its vile andouilles with the enormous hand holding the huge poo-like sausage outside the factory outlet on the outskirts of Vire.  The only other thing of interest is Vire's link with the word Vaudeville which derives from the words Vaux de Vire - apparently  music hall style comedy started there!

Valerie

Well really Catalpa - if you're running on speed I'd keep quiet about it if I were you!!!

I thought the last incarnation of Dick looked rather frightening - do you think he was running on speed too?  Or maybe it is a look he has developed over the years to keep those schoolchildren in order.  I thought the beatnik one of earlier today much less frightening and in fact quite jolly (but very dark and gloomy in terms of the background).

Valerie

Well, I'm the photographer (which explains some of the photos, I suppose) and it's Young's Special, Miki!

I've just been playing around with the new facility (matron) - watch out for developments...

Is it any easier to put photos in messages now?

(BTW my current avatar shows my first ever French haircut...)

Blige me Gay.,

That google Earth sure does show your garden up well, best keep the curtains closed at night or those Amrican swill be looking straight in !

Did you know that the Koreans complained about this feature, it shows up their nuclear facilities and they thought that to be unfair or whatever they said !

[quote]>>>That google Earth sure does show your garden up well<<Well you can bet (don't forget the L'Arc de Triomphe tomorrow and my b****y mates have rung twice already from Paris to ask where I am !) your last few pennies that we won't boast about garden size.

Places we have had here :

1. Appartment, window box and a half acre of grounds that were cared for by a groundsman but paid by the co-propriete (which of course included us !) ....lovely !

2. Large house with 2 hectares...............Bluddy hard work

3. Really large place with 6 hectares........Really hard work and expensive as hired help was required

4. House with just over an acre (present house) and again, flipping hard work.

5. Yet to be bought but your garden looks just about right for us now.

Size ain't everything......or perhaps in this case, small is beautiful

"...BTW my current avatar shows my first ever French haircut...)"

Give me his number Dick and I will send the boys round, bluddy liberty or what !.....

Really, Miki, do you not know class when you see it?

It was obviously cut to have mirror-symmetry with the beard, giving Dick the option of wearing his head upside down and still looking stylish.

I like it.

[quote]"...BTW my current avatar shows my first ever French haircut...)" Give me his number Dick and I will send the boys round, bluddy liberty or what !..... Really, Miki, do you not know class when you...[/quote]

But if Dick wears his hair like that all the time and if I ever get to have bevvy with him and we have had a few, how am I going to know which way up he is ?

Sensible answers only please.

[quote]Why should you know what way up I am when I don't?(Had some nice Pride at lunchtime, just to rub it in. And an all-day breakfast.)And what is flou?[/quote]

Well Dick, for one thing, it would be nice to know which end you are speaking out of

Mind you, I will only have to wait a few nano seconds until I see where the glass gets tipped in to !

You bluddy s***e Pride eh, have no fear, I shall be having a word with Jean Paul "abart yerr 'aircoot" and a new style I have for him to give you

Oh and "flou" is what you see, when you have had one too many !! or how your hair goes if your haircut is 'aving a bad day